“Great ambiance, average grub”
Review of Martin's Tavern

Martin's Tavern
Ranked #46 of 3,292 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Description: At Martin's Tavern, every sitting president from Truman to G.W. Bush has dined. Ask your server to point out the booth where JFK proposed to Jackie.
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

We drifted here on a Sunday walk when hordes of people were rushing in to get a table. Martin's Tavern is essentially an Irish pub, and it was the day before St Paddy's Day. So it was bound to be busy. But the wait wasn't too long. It's a lovely environment with stories connecting the booths to famous Georgetown residents although I'm sure that some of the stories are urban myth. But as nice as the pub is, this is certainly no gastro pub because the food is just average. My partner's Reuben was decent but nothing special, and the bacon that came with my Rancher I could have done without. They're not cheap either, so you would hope for a bit more in exchange for your money. We got the feeling that they were trying to rush us out in order to maximise on a busy day. Perhaps this would be a more pleasant experience just for a drink on some quieter evening.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

What a great place to eat at the end of the day and have really good food and some Irish whiskey. Sat in the JFK booth and somehow it seemed surreal.

1  Thank Ultimategreek
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I've been coming to Martin's Tavern since the late 1970's and while it has changed some over the years it always remains a great place for a nice meal. Best clam chowder in the DC area and the pot roast I had was outstanding. Service was prompt and food delivered quickly to our table even though there was an overflow crowd on the Sunday afternoon I was there. I even think they have spruced up the place since the last time I was there with fresh paint and a nice sidewalk dining area. Make reservations. My favorite place in Georgetown.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

best eggs benedict.. always perfect.. great hollandaise, eggs done perfect.. perfect salty Virginia ham instead of Canadian bacon...

love this place every visit.. a DC icon

1  Thank Milton P
Reviewed February 28, 2014

When visiting D.C. our purpose was to instill pride in our country and history in our teenagers. We arrived at Georgetown right during the busy lunch hour and went into Martins, we had no reservation but they were very gracious and worked us in. The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was very electrifying. The food was great and we sat in the Richard Nixon booth loved it all.