“A memorable experience!!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Description: At Martin's Tavern, every sitting president from Truman to G.W. Bush has dined. Ask your server to point out the booth where JFK proposed to Jackie.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were in DC to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary and spent the day walking around Georgetown. Getting hungry, we decided to check out Martin's Tavern. We heard it was the place where JFK proposed to Jackie, so, why not? We sat outside and it was a little chilly, but fun to people watch. I wish the propane heaters they had weren't out of propane! My crab sandwich was slightly burnt on one side but I didn't care given all the lump crab it had. Coleslaw was delish as was the New England clam chowder. My husband had melt in your mouth calamari - among the best we've ever had. His cheesesteak was also good. Very nice lunch - good food and good fun!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Food was average. I got the Shepherds pie which should have been somewhat of a safe choice, however it was oily and there were no vegetables. My wife's fish dinner was pretty fgood though and she enjoyed. It was nice enough but I wouidn't return with so many other great restaurants in the area.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went here for Easter brunch. What a wonderful restaurant. I had the grits with shrimp...delicious. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Also had the french toast with carmelized bananas. Bloody Marys very good. Can't say enough good things about this place. Will definitely return when in D.C.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Quaint, atmospheric, historical are three words to sum up Martin's Tavern. The service was friendly and efficient.

Although noted for its connection with JFK, most of the dining booths have a connection with American politicos.

We arrived at a lunch time without an appointment, although busy we were soon found a booth.

Not ever having eaten a Burger on any visit to America, we decided must try the burger meal. The meal was huge, chips, battered onions, onions, giant burger and bun, relish et al. You would certainly not go hungry after this meal, but having said that, the burger was not exceptional, Indeed, I was grateful for the relish.

Food prices were reasonable, but drinks were a little on the expensive side.

Nevertheless, it was worth the visit for its place in American history. I would certainly give it another try, but would, maybe, book a table for the evening and try a 'proper' meal.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Atmosphere was excellent. Negative was the crowdedness - to many seats. Too close for privacy. Food was good, prices a bit too high - service OK. Seems like the place needs a refresh