“Great food, history, and the Braves on TV”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Martin's Tavern

Martin's Tavern
Ranked #52 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Description: At Martin's Tavern, every sitting president from Truman to G.W. Bush has dined. Ask your server to point out the booth where JFK proposed to Jackie.
St. Pete Beach, Florida
“Great food, history, and the Braves on TV”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have never had a bad experience at all while dining here. The staff are always extremely polite and attentive. The food has always been excellent. And for myself and my friends from Georgia, it is great that they always put the Braves games on TV! Great pub, great food, great atmosphere!

• Visited February 2012

“Crowded for a Reason”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

After spending the morning at Arlington National Cemetery, I decided to go across the river and enjoy the sights of Historic Georgetown. I had read about Martin's Tavern and its famous Brunswick Stew, so I doesn't to pop in and try it. It was a Saturday morning just before the normal lunch hour and the place was packed to the gills. Since I was solo, I immediately found a seat at the bar (they don't seat singles at tables). This meant I got to bypass the groups of people waiting, but also got to watch all the activity going on in this cramped little hot spot. Though I was tempted to try something else on the menu (pumpkin pancakes; bartender said they were excellent), I did order the Brunswick Stew (first time I ever had it) and it was delicious. Also as it was a cool morning, it really hit the spot. And even if I had had to wait, it would have been worth it for this stew...

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank jehenson81
perth
“lovely restaurant in Georgetown”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is charming restaurant. Great atmosphere, great food and great service with very friently and helpful waiters. Highly recommended.

Visited January 2013
Staunton, Virginia
“Everything was delicious”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We had a party of four, each getting different meals. Two got salads, one got the fish combo and one got the pork chop. All were fantastic. The fish was a little dry, but still very tasty. The pork was moist and tender. Both salads were very good.
Would recommend reservations as it got crowded quickly.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Frank-Staunton-VA
“Nice breakfast place in Georgetown”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My wife and I recently had breakfast here prior to driving back home. The food was really good. We had wandered around Georgetown in search of a place to eat ( after having found Madelines closed) and ended up here. I am so glad we explored. So much, that we will make this our breakfast routine when in DC instead of Madelines.
I had the bangers and mash (ok maybe this is not traditional breakfast fare but it was so tempting) and it was delicious. I mean downright outstanding. My wife had a 'build it yourself' omelette and it too was very good. Service was friendly and prompt and the atmosphere of the tavern is very cool. Read some of the literature around you to get a feel for the history of the place. Thank you Martin's Tavern for creating a new tradition for my DC visits.

• Visited November 2012