“If Neo from the Matrix ran a restaurant, this would be it”
Review of Doi Moi

Doi Moi
Ranked #235 of 3,463 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 30, 2014

In another dimension there is a hip, sophisticated, elegant, interesting casual restaurant--light, cool, airy. Doi Moi is The One that brings peace in a busy, over-hyped, pretentious dining scene. This restaurant has newfound powers and has realized the truth. It is here.

How do you define real? Is it Ibiza, Chang Mai, New York, Brooklyn? Do you believe in Fate?

Let it all go here. Try the duck salad, morning glory in tamarind sauce, duck egg. Free your mind. Trust me.

Doi Moi is everywhere.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food was very delicious, innovative, and very enjoyable. The spicy dishes are quite spicy, which I like, but others beware. The decor is very modern and bright. We arrived early so seating was not a problem. By the time we left, all tables were full. It's very popular. I plan to return.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have been wanting to go there since they opened. I finally made it with a friend that like me, loves spicy food. I had heard that the food was too spicy so I was excited about that. Unfortunately it was not as spicy as I had hoped, but not bad. The menu is too long to really get a good handle with one visit and maybe we did not make the best choices, but for the most part we found it good and interesting but not that special. Will go back and try other things. The place is huge so getting tables should not be a challenge during weekdays.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We love Vietnames and Thai food and I am not sure if this is authentic Vietnamese (having never been to Vietnam) though we've eaten in many vietnamese restaurants. We don't really care whether its authentic or not though,b/c we loved this restaurant and will definitely be going back. the food is very tasty,not watered down or off (as in other not so authentic places). The service was excellent, and very patient. The food:
- the duck was one of the best we've had
- the fried chicken wings were again one of the best i've had (I can't wait to eat this again). I found the chicken even better than bonchon's version.
- the chicken curry soup --yummy.
- the pork noodles were great too.
The desserts were very interesting. I can only remember the fried cookie (we call it Kokis in Sri Lanka--so was suprised to see this here), really enjoyed it.
The drinks were just okay. I didn't like the tamarind drink but the lemony cocktail was pretty good, I am mostly a wine person. Who cares if its served in tacky cups? (as noted below in a previous review). Ido remember that they were different from the norm, but not tacky.

I didn't find the decor tacky either as noted in one of the reviews below, but it does get very loud. We did see quite a few couples with small babies/kids and they all seemed comfortable. Yes there are many vietnamese places in the area, but this is one of my favorites. You definitely won't get the dishes that are offered here in other places such as four sisters or present or rice paper (my other favorite vietnamese places) .There is something different here for sure in a good way.

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

I had a great food experience in Doi Moi. It reminded me of my recent trip in SEA.
I would recommend several appetizers instead of main dishes. This way you can taste more different flavors and textures.
We had the squid. I found it too big for 2 people, it gets a little monotonous after some bites. But the squid itself was great.
The crispy rice cakes with pork and shrimp were delicious, the crunchiness and the mix of coconut, pork and shrimp were very interesting.
The lemongrass hanger steak skewers were terrific. Try the sauce.
The Chiang Mai chicken and noodles was very tasty.
Finally, the ice cream was a good way to finish this spicy meal.
I also had the Thai tea and I loved it. I had something similar in Thailand.
Overall a great place.
Attentive staff and simple but charming decor.
If you go in the early side you avoid a long wait. They also take reservations.