“So Good We Eat Here Three Mornings in a Row”
Review of The Diner

The Diner
Ranked #371 of 3,341 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We came the first time based on the recommendations from TA. The food was very good. We had a variety of food over the three days. The pancakes and the corn beef hash was the best. The coffee was some of the best coffee I have had at a diner. The prices were very reasonable particularly for DC.

My only complaint was the service. It was not that busy when we came, but the service was slow. The servers spent most of the time talking to each other. One morning, the food sat in the window for a fair bit of time. The next two mornings we sat at the counter and when our server was not around, just grabbed any available server.

The quality of the food definitely outweighs the staff's laid back style.

2  Thank Chinanomad

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Five of us gathered here on a Friday for lunch. For a commercial area we were all able to park in close proximity, which was a huge plus in congested DC. The place was pretty full but no wait to be seated. Service was SLOW - ordering, serving and getting the check. Food was OK. It was noisy but not overly so we could have a nice conversation. We would go back.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a Sunday afternoon. Very busy but seating for 2 was quick. Typical diner atmosphere. Ordered the corned beef hash with eggs and a pancake, and my other guest had the Monte Cristo with grits. Neither if us was very fulfilled with our meal. My hash was either overcooked or old because it was so hard it scratched the inside of my mouth! Monte Cristo and grits lacked flavor...much seasoning at the table had to be done. Service was ok-everyone knows diner staff is busy non stop so we didn't expect red carpet but we did expect more out of the food.

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Had the Ragin' Cajun omelet and my girlfriend had the Hights omelet. Great food and great service. No complaints

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My partner and I had breakfast here on two mornings during our stay in DC. Both times we had omelettes which we great. My partner also had the grits to see what they were like, because we don't have them in Australia. Service and food were both good. Meals were large and filled us up until late in the afternoon.