“A Neighborhood and Breakfast Treat in DC”
Review of The Diner

The Diner
Ranked #317 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Reviewed October 15, 2012

While visiting DC my hubby and I fell in love with the Adams Morgan eclectic neighborhood and our favorite spot for breakfast each morning during our stay was The Diner on 18th street. In addition to a delicious meal each morning we thoroughly enjoyed meeting the neighborhood locals and conversing with other restaurant guests. We enjoyed it so much we walked each morning from our hotel in Dupont Circle to enjoy the great food and neighborhood vibe. If you like getting off the beaten path this is the perfect spot. The prices our great and the food and people are even better

1  Thank traveljoy7
There are newer reviews for The Diner

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We went here late at night (2-3am) to visit with a family member as we drove through DC and because it was one of the few things open. What a pleasant find. Five of us ate breakfast meals and sandiches with sides for under $50 and the food was great. There is a mixture in the crowd but I was not uncomfortable at all. Great find!! Staff as pretty speedy and friendly. The BBQ pork sandwich was great as were the breakfasts.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great for families, but a bit loud. Patient staff, good selection on the menu. Bathroom can be gross.

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Thia is a great place for breakfast. Pancakes are very good. So are the omlettes. Have only had breakfast so do not know about lunch and dinner items.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I don't much get the stellar reviews of this place. We visited on the suggestion of a 20-something family member who lives in DC. She raved about the menu, and took us there for lunch on a hot day (it was 95 out).

ATMOSPHERE: Busy, and LOUD. When we got there, around 1:30 pm on Memorial Day 2012, it was extremely loud, the wait was out the door, and they had NO air conditioning. The servers / line cooks were louder than the patrons, screaming over heads and shouting order up and so on. The smell from the unwashed masses (crammed bodies in the extreme heat with no relief) made me hesitant, but she swore it was good so we stayed.

FOOD: Diner quality only. I've had much better, even in a diner, than what we were served here... I had a ham and cheese sandwich, the kids had chicken nuggets, my husband a cheeseburger, and while they were decent selections, there was nothing noteable about the flavor, and the way they were served made me think the line cooks were playing horse (throwing things at my plate in a haphazard way as it zipped down the line, rather than to take time plating it). I frankly didn't get it - again, while there was nothing wrong with our meal, there really wasn't anything memorable either, believe me I tried.

SERVICE: Our server, while busy with other tables, was friendly when she came by (which wasn't often, sadly). We had small children, and she took a moment to entertain them with her crazy nail polish which was red, white, and blue, and she was funny, cracking a joke or two as she flew by. She wasn't the most helpful server in the world, but we forgave that because of her overall charm.

VALUE: Average, to a little on the expensive side. Again, judging purely on the food, the prices were higher than what I'd expect to pay for the quality, and as hot as it was that day we were there, they should have paid me to sit there instead of the other way around (unless they were intentially trying to double as a sauna).

Looking around, I saw a LOT of other 20-somethings, and it occurs to me that perhaps this place is so popular because it reminds young patrons of meals they might've gotten at the college cafeteria, and perhaps they're nostalgic.... other than that reason, I don't get this place, and probably won't return.