“Yum!”

Cuisines: Latin
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I visited this place based on the reviews, (this was my first time in DC). The food was very good. I had the salmon fajitas, very tasty. The lettuce tasted a little bitter, but other than that I was pleased with all our food. I also tasted the tamales & pupusas- very yummy. Latin food tends to be greasy, not at all at this place. Lots of flavor without the "grease". Also the prices are very reasonable. I would come back.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We were in the area for the Marine Parade and needed to eat. This place had good reviews and I like that it was featured in DDD at one time. We decided to try it. Order the Papusas!! The flavor reminded me of really yummy authentic Mexican cheese/chicken corn tortilla enchiladas. The plate was VERY filling and the pricing was very reasonable for the area. Small area to eat inside, small dining outside. It wasn't too far from the subway and our family of 4 enjoyed it. I didn't look around the floor, etc. I was there to eat!!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We had seen this spot on DDD, and it looked like a must-visit. Really glad we went. The lady from the show segment was there, and was very friendly. The food was absolutely terrific. The prices are very reasonable, portions are huge. We sat outside on a pleasant June afternoon, facing the Eastern Market. It's about a 15 minute walk from the Capitol, and conveniently near a subway stop. Highly recommend if in Washington.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I heard about this place and saw that it was on DDD. We stopped in after the Eastern Market and we ordered two popusas. They were really good. But I have to say I was turned off by the appearance of the restaurant of what I saw. I realize it is a small family owned place but when I looked in the kitchen they had cardboard on the floor and it was black. The place is so small, make sure the place is clean all of the time!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food here is so awesome we came back several times in one trip. And several more times during our second trip the same year.

Everything we ate here, burritos, pancakes, sandwich, eggs, was phenomenal.

Even more phenomenal is the value. We couldn't believe how cheap everything was. The pricing here would be an amazing value in any town or city, big or small. In DC, it's unbelievable.

Just writing this review is making me crave Tortilla Cafe's food.

As long as you don't mind hole-in-the-wall joints, you'll love Tortilla Cafe. Even though TC is not the cleanest restaurant in town, the phenomenal food more than makes up for it.

Whenever we're back in DC, Tortilla Cafe is our first stop for breakfast, lunch and dinner.