“Fantastic location, fantastic food”

Johnny's Half Shell
Reserve with OpenTable
Johnny's Half Shell is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #458 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: National Mall
Cross street: between E Street and Louisana Ave.
Transit: Union Station on the Metro Red Line. Walk across Massachussette right onto E street turn lelf on North Capitol. We are next to Wells Fargo Bank.
Description: Johnny's Half Shell is a highly acclaimed seafood restaurant in Washington DC located near Capitol Hill and Union Station. Ann Cashion, a James Beard award winning chef, uses organic produce, poultry, meat, and sustainable seafood to create memorable renditions of Chesapeake and Gulf Coast dishes. Pair the flavorful food with an amazing outdoor dining terrace, breathtaking views of the US Capitol and a vibrant happy hour and you have found your new favorite Washington DC restaurant!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
“Fantastic location, fantastic food”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Within sight of the Capitol of the United States, this restaurant serves wonderful food in a pleasant atmosphere. Service is attentive but not overpowering. The wait staff offers helpful suggestions. The kitchen delivers fresh food, full of flavor and beautifully presented.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Warren S

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Terrible from beginning to the end; made us sick”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My friends and I had dinner here during restaurant week. Our server was fairly nice and prompt but not particularly attentive. There was some point where a busboy brought us someone else's dessert.

Regarding the food: the overall presentations were lackluster. Everything looked like it had been thrown on the plate with little thought: no garnish, very sloppy. We each had the charbroiled oysters which were ok but not as good Drago's in New Orleans. Though it did not look appetizing, the chicken dish was fairly tasty. The sea scallops were overdone and had minimal accompaniment.

The worst part of the dinner was all three of us got sick. Since the only thing we all had was the oysters, we suspect they were the culprit.

I will not be returning to this restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
Spokane, Washington
“Delicious but slightly disappointing.”
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We went to Johnny's on the recommendation of a colleague. It was an amazing atmosphere with great music. I ordered shrimp bisque from the soup of the day and the Cajun style chicken. The bisque was absolutely to die for--you could taste the decadent butter and the also buttery consistency of the crab. It went very well with the fresh bread. I ate every last drop. The chicken was fried perfectly, crispy skin and moist meat. It was served with basmati rice, which was a good choice to help cool down some of the spice from the sauce. My one complaint of this dish is that it had no vegetables served with it, just chicken and rice. It left a little wanting without a side vegetable. My other criticism is that the waitress told us they were out of half shells. Considering they have that in their name, I would think they would make it their goal to have them offered at all times. If a restaurant says "Italian Pizza Kitchen" and is out of pizza, I think that is a problem. The last thing was that one of the servers kept giving the wrong dish to the wrong person. we were a large group and a steak was given to me when I ordered chicken. the head server saved the day by having memorized which orders went where. She was wonderful. Other than those three things, I loved it. Both the food an atmoshpere was amazing and I would eat here again for sure.

nottm
“Bad service”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We could not fault the food. But the servers were constantly hovering : were clearing plates before every one had finished eating. Made us feel as if we had to rush and go. WOULD NOT EAT THERE AGAIN

• Visited September 2012
“Good seafood near Union Station”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Went to Johnny's Half Shell when in Washington for a conference. It was quiet on a Monday night. Very attentive service. I had the flounder which was accompanied by sauteed fresh corn. It all arrived hot, which I always appreciate.
My companions had the corn soup and crabmeat imperial and enjoyed their meals.

• Visited August 2012