“A perfect end of the day, stop and ponder, rest your feet”

National Gallery of Art - Sculpture Garden
Book In Advance
More Info
$40.00*
and up
Taste of DC Segway Tour
Ranked #48 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Across the street from the National Gallery of Art, and the National Archives open gates with glimpses of large interesting sculptures invite you in to see. Follow the path to a very large fountain with seat height bench walls and a calming fountain. Just like the rest of the crowd, I took off my shoes and dipped my toes in the cool fountain waters....the rest of the week, I ended every museum day here. It's summer, a few nights the most popular museums had extended hours, but, this garden closed promptly at 5 and at 4:30 the staff starts letting you know, "it's time to go, the grounds will be locked." Definitely a wonderful stop for tired feet before the long walk to the hotel. And I'd forgotten how intriguing some of the art could be. It's all perspective and I loved it!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

As reviewers have said, a great park to stroll around and see some interesting art. Pick up a guide inside the National Gallery. Refresh yourself by the fountain. But beware of the closing time. You'd expect a park to be open till sunset, but when we were there on a beautiful warm Saturday, everyone was mystified at being shooed out by guard yelling "Closing time, the park is closing" at 5 p.m. - although the website says they're open till 7.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Let me begin by saying both my husband and our daughter went to Georgetown and are very familiar with every inch of The District! We were in the area and needed a rest before dinner and our daughter suggested the Sculpture Gardens. She often went there to study when she was in college. What she didn't know was that there was a fairly recent upgrade to the little cafe. It looks like an Art Nouveau French Metro Stop building with a modern interior, lots of very clean tables on the A/C inside and lots of comfortable patio tables and chairs on the outside.(The bathrooms at the cafe were messy.) The fountains were almost completely surrounded by lovely families, some with kids dipping their tired toes in the water. The fountains were home to a single mallard and the mood in the area was delightful. Around the corner, you will find The Burghers of Calais (hello? Instagram selfie?), works by artists such as Miro, Lichtenstein and others and a pretty funky giant silver tree next to the cafe. There is plenty of street parking. The gardens are open and free. Nice!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had a splendid afternoon here! I was in art wonderland for a couple of hours until we were kicked out at around 4:30 at closing time.

As a pop art fan, it is a feast for the senses - everyone is represented from Robert Indiana to Claes Oldenburg to Lichtenstein to Miro. The garden is well-curated with the fountain as its centerpiece and benches all around that you can sit on and admire these magnificent pieces. I really loved The Spider by Louise Bourgeois - the scene made me feel like I was standing in the Tuileries. There is also a Metro sign by the cafe, very reminiscent of Paris.

I will grab a lunch bag and enjoy it here the next time I am in town especially when the weather is nice.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This place was so relaxing I could have fallen asleep right on the concrete benches surrounding the pool! I was lounging in the shade as my daughter soaked her feet. After a while I laid down and enjoyed the warmth of the concrete. There's a yummy little cafe nearby where I had a delicious gourmet style salad, too. This is a must-see/must-relax place if you are in need of a break or lunch. So relaxing.