“Great Food”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Cross street: Florida Ave./ U St.
Transit: 5 blocks from Dupont Circle Station 5 blocks from U St./ Cardozo Station
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I met a friend in DC and she wanted to try this restaurant. It was a nice walk from the Dupont Circle metro. Once we arrived I used the bathroom and had a little trepidation. It was dark and not clean. They need a remodel; badly!

The food was a different matter; it was fabulous! We had the scallops appetizer, mussels appetizer, the spinach souffle crepe and the salmon crepe. I'd happily return.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Small, neighborhood restaurant. Has Straffe Hendrik beer. Mussels were good and garlicky. Music a little loud.
What's the Saturday "Clothing Optional" brunch all about?

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This restaurant is just fantastic !! We went there to eat supper. Everything was good. Cappuchino are enormus and sooo delicious !! And take the crepe as a dessert. Choco-strawberries are to die for !

Reviewed February 1, 2012

The cafe is small. We had reservations which were made conveniently through Open Table. Casual atmosphere. We passed on appetizers, had French Dip and Le Croque Monsieur. Both were served with a nice side salad that was topped with a light dressing. They were prepared well and tasty. The menu had many nice choices and it was difficult to decide on just two things. We were eating light to have room for crepe desserts. We ordered the Nutella banana and Grand Marnier caramel crepes with cafe au lait. The crepes were very nice. The cafe au lait was lovely. Served in a traditional bowl instead of a cup. Service was timely and our waiter was very pleasant and informative. The bonus to this whole evening was the fact that it was Feb 1 in DC and the patio was open, no enclosed area, no heat lamps, it was 65 degrees in the middle of winter. What a nice treat to sit outside and enjoy French delicacies. We would definitely dine here again.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

L'Enfant is a small French/Belgian style cafe on the corner of 18th and U Streets NW in Adams Morgan. The interior is filled with small tables and could be anywhere in France. The outside has a large terrace.

The best thing about l'Enfant, and the thing which won my heart when I moved from Brussels to DC in 2009, is the weekly Belgian Happy Hour. They actually open early on Tuesday nights for this weekly event when Belgian beers are all half off. If you are a Belgian beer lover, this is a real treat. The list of options isn't huge and they tend to run out of certain varieties by the end of happy hour (I think they may have a quota of how many of each they are willing to sell at half price), but they include several trappist brews and small selection of other Belgian beers.

Outside of happy hour, I have recently been for both brunch and dinner. Their food is much more French than Belgian and is reasonably priced by DC standards. I'm a sucker for the ham and gruyere crepe, which is what I eat most often. The white truffle mac and cheese was also really good. For brunch I stuck with standard eggs benedict and was very happy with their version.

I was here last Tuesday for Belgian Happy Hour and will likely return in the next few weeks. If you are visiting from out of town and looking for a fun Tuesday evenign activity this is a great option! It's also great for a light dinner before a night out in Adams Morgan or on U street.