“Absolutely delicious food and plenty of it!!!”
Review of Zaytinya

Zaytinya
Reserve with OpenTable
Zaytinya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 3,292 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: G St.
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown station. 9 th & G St exit on the red, green and yellow lines.
Description: Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We booked this restaurant for a table for 12 for my 30th birthday based on the reviews on this website alone. A huge gamble as we have never tried the food but one that turned out to be well worth it. The food was incredible and it kept on coming! We had a preset menu as we had 12 people and I got to pick out the plates I wanted before hand. Every single item that we had was delicious and plentiful. Some of our favorites were the chicken orzo, asparagus salad, mushroom couscous, hummus, red peppers and feta, and the zucchini/cheese patties. The bread that comes out with the first round is so so so good...light and airy and hot. The service was actually good as well and that is one of the main things I was concerned about based upon the reviews on this site. Our waiter was very attentive and our water glasses were always full. The decor is trendy and modern without being to cold. It was busy but not too loud as we were up in the loft area. The only complaint I have is how long it took us to get alcoholic drinks. Some of my friends had to wait quite awhile in between drinks.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you can get a reservation to eat here while you are in D.C., then you should go. Don't try to pop in for dinner. The wait was long just to get to the hostess. This is a very large restaurant and it was super busy. The lighting is bright. Walls are dark blue and all the tables and seating is white. Perfect for a mediterranean restaurant. Also there was good space between tables. We were not on top of the table next to us, which I always appreciate. The menu is set up to share with many options. It is not cheap, but the portions are right. You wouldn't want a ton of each item because you can't eat all of it. It is meant to be a tasting menu. The pita bread was delicious — straight out of the oven — and they kept it full. All the food was very good. My favorite was the Kaftedes Kapama — lamb and beef meatballs. Two of us shared 7 dishes and I was too full for dessert, but did manage to eat a few pieces of cheese off the platter my husband ordered. Our service was very good. We went at 8:30 on Sunday night and it seemed to slow down a little so I think we got more attention. I could see how a table of 2 could get lost with all the large parties they seat. There are a lot of floating staff though and our bread and water was always full. It is good, but not a must in DC with so many other options.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Extremely good service and exquisite mezze for a reasonable price. Lovely atmosphere and sizable menu with plenty of vegetarian options. Wait staff are polite and very knowledgable. Location is great! Portions are small but perfect for sharing a few dishes at your table. Cocktails are exquisite (and pricy)! Definitely worth checking out for brunch, lunch and dinner! And don't miss dessert! Delicious!! :)

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stopped in here for lunch and had one of the best meals we've ever had.

We ordered lots of small plates to share - some on the recommendation of the server, others just because they sounded interesting. I don't even know what some of the things we ordered were, but every one was very good, and several were excellent (I want to go back just for the Brussels Sprouts).

The restaurant itself was attractive and pleasant and the servers helpful and attentive. We will be returning.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am crazy for Mediterranean food and I find them wherever I go. I heard about Zaytinya in DC and as much as how much I hate to drive to DC, my family decided to spend a day there to eat out at Zaytinya....
I think they have a great location which is visible and very urban ... good for dates where food is the last thing on mind. There was a 45 minute waiting time inside so we decided to sit outside ... being such a beautiful day outside. The menu showed somewhat different Mediterranean names and pardon my greek, half of the stuff was not something that mediterranean folks would want to be identified with. I think, as much as this shop is trying to sell healthy mediterranean food, they are selling something that might have remote root in that region. The menu had 4 pages and 3 pages were dishes that were about $10 worth. The last page had some 3-4 specials that were termed as "family combo platters" in the range of $40. We thought if the combo is for a family, it should be good for a couple of folks. The waiter was very nice and politely told us that the family combo really is good for one person but you can always share it. We asked him if the rest of kabobs and other stuff is good for less than one person he said it is good for one person but you can share. We ordered about 6 dishes from the main menu, hoping to have enough for both of us and two kids. The food came out to be the most microscopic serving I have seen in a long time. Sure we could share everything but it was barely enough to take half bite each. The snails were horrible and probably not mediterranean at all. Everything else was tasteless, except baba ganouge was edible but the quantity was so little that could only sufficient for one person. At the end my kids declared that they are hungry and needed real food in human quantity. The food served was in more of what I would serve to my birds. Here is my disclaimer, I or my wife are not big eaters both weighing under 140 Lbs and my kids are less than average eaters. The final decree is that if you are going there for a reason other than a meal/food, you'll love it but if food is your main concern go any other mediterranean restaurant but this. The quantity is the main problem but the quality is not good either. If you are very desperate, just buy the packaged mediterranean food from Costco or Trader Joe's for under $10. You'd be writing a review like this one after spending over $60 on bird servings.