“Good place for unique food”
Review of Zaytinya

Zaytinya
Reserve with OpenTable
Zaytinya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 3,383 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: G St.
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown station. 9 th & G St exit on the red, green and yellow lines.
Description: Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Went for dinner after a long working day and was more than satisfied with the food, a bit disappointed by the limited choice of wine (only Greek wine, which I hadn't tried before and actually surprised me, so with hindsight the limited choice was not so bad) and inspired by their view of food (quote: 'food is about making an interaction with ingredients - if you talk to them, they will always tell you a story). Modern place, open space, very lively and loud if packed, not the best place if you're in need of a cosy place.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,811)

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Boy, was I wrong!! What an experience. We were in DC for an event and 7 of us met here for an early dinner. (wasn't too keen on a 6:15 reservation time...) We ordered a set menu which came in multiple courses. It was a leisurely meal, we were never rushed and the food was varied and delicious. I am not even sure what most of it was called, but the lamb and the brussels sprouts were exceptional! Would definitely return.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I've lived in Turkey for 6 months and have done some light traveling throughout the Med and let me just say--this place is fantastic!

We were seated right away (may have something to do with the fact that we were there at 5 pm!) and our waiter was right there--ready to take our drink orders. Again, the speed of service may have something to do with our timing--it did appear to slow down once the crowds showed up. Anyhow, the food was amazing. My husband and I had four starters before we had the kebab sampler and holy cow! That was plenty of food! Our waiter recommended only 2-3 starters per person and he was spot on with that recommendation.

We had the humus, the dolmades, the calamari, and the spanikoptia. The only thing I can say about it (aside from the fact that it was delicious) was that while it tasted "traditional" the food still had a modern twist to it. It is hard to make traditional med cuisine while keeping it fresh. The kebab sampler was delicious--well, I take that back, the chicken was amazing and the rest was good. I am NOT a fan of kofte (the minced lamb) so it should come as no shock that I didn't like this one. The lamb cubes were cooked well. I really liked the garlic sauce that came on the side.

Oh! You gotta try the Turkish coffee (extra sweet)--just make sure you stop drinking it just before you can see the bottom of the glass. Hint--if you think you have one more small sip--STOP! You really don't!

The concept of a Med "tapas" place was neat too. I always find that I want a little of everything and here, you can get that. I can't even say that it was overpriced because you are getting high quality food. It was expensive though so if you are on a budget, make sure you allow yourself to spend the money--its worth it!

Tamam--enjoy!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was planning to meet friends for lunch on Sunday, not knowing that there was a very small Christmas fair near the Verizon center. There was no street parking anywhere to be found because all the garages within walking distance were charging "event pricing" for parking. I love Zaytinya, but I'm not going to pay $20 per hour for parking just to have lunch there.

They need to either find a garage that would be willing to work with them on accepting validation or join with other businesses to influence the criteria by which the local garages go to "event" parking rates. If it were a Caps game that's one thing, but a 1 block Christmas fair on an early Sunday afternoon...we cancelled our reservation and went elsewhere.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Went with a large party, so had a set menu. It was truly lovely all round. The hommous, the pepper and feta salad, the spinakopita cigars, etc. wine selection was good, staff friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back!