“Delicious Italian food in cozy Cleveland Park restaurant”
Review of Sorriso - CLOSED

Sorriso
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Washington, DC
“Delicious Italian food in cozy Cleveland Park restaurant”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

One of my favorite restaurants in the area. Definitely a hidden gem in Cleveland Park. Delicious food and great atmosphere! The lasagna, fresh pizza, and homemade gelato are a few favorites.

• Visited September 2011

Washington, DC
“We keep going back to Sorisso for consistently good, real Italian cooking”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Sorisso is one of our regular favorites in the Cleveland Park neighborhood. It's a real mom&pop restaurant, with the owner and his son in the kitchen, his wife and daughter as hostesses, and waitstaff who have been there a long time and know what the specials are and what's good. We always order wine from the owner's vineyard in Italy (Pietro's merlot). We like the thin-crust Venetian style pizza, the wild boar tagliatelle, the spaghetti carbonara. To start, try the focaccia with prosciutto, which is like a crispy pizza crust with prosciutto on top. It's terrific, and not the usual thing you get in your average Italian restaurant in America.

• Visited June 2011
ROCKVILLE
“What happened to this restaurant?”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Sorriso went from being one of my favorite restaurants to I'll never go there again. I went for lunch today with a friend. Upon arriving we asked to sit at a four top table in the window. Waitress said no. They were saving that table for a foursome. Ok, we can understand that. No sooner had we sat down at our tiny two top than another twosome walked in and were seat at the table we had originally asked for. That didn't sit well with us.
We both ordered the lasagna, which I have had several times in the past. This time it was excessively meat heavy and very dry. What happened to this restaurant? No charm, rude and mediocre food.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank PotomacGolfer
Washington, DC
“Neighborhood gem for pizza and pasta”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I've eaten here at least half a dozen times, twice in the past month, so I thought it was time to review it. I glanced at a few of the other reviews and was surprised that some diners hated the pizza. I've always found it to be delicious and flavorful. My favorite is probably the one with the fresh arugula. If you like authentic, Neopolitan, thin-crust pies, then you'll like these. Last week I branched out from pizza, and tried one of the specials - proscuitto ravioli in a sage butter sauce. Delicious and a large portion. If I had been smart, I would have only eaten half and saved half for the next day's lunch, but it was too good to stop eating. The spinach salad with gorgonzola was huge, so share it if there are 2 of you. The server was attentive and prompt, without rushing me (and she sounded Italian). The chef/owner and his wife are always there and while I haven't spoken with them, they are friendly and helpful to diners who are obviously regulars. This is not Maggiano's or Galileo but you'll enjoy well-prepared Italian food in a small, neighborhood setting.

• Visited May 2011
New Orleans, LA
“Tasty Food, Decent Service, Very Crowded”
Reviewed November 4, 2010

A friend who lives in the area took us to Sorriso for dinner on a recent Saturday night. He warned us by saying that the owner is known to scream at customers, but that the food is consistently good. We didn’t see or hear any screaming, but we did see two people complain that their table and chairs were wobbly – they were seated upstairs in an area that obviously had flooring problems (the entire table was slanted wildly to the side) – and though I couldn’t hear what their server said, I could see they were unhappy. The couple ate hurriedly and left.

On the other hand, our table of three was perfect – right by the windows on the second floor, good ambience. Our waiter was efficient and courteous; he even sported a charming accent. We ordered fried calamari (done just right but portion could have been a bit bigger), arugula salad (pretty plain – just a few leaves and a few shavings of parmesan cheese), pasta and fagioli soup (very hearty – like how my Italian boyfriend’s grandma used to make), two orders of mussels in garlicky red sauce (divine! succulent! superb!), and two pizzas (the Sorriso – tomato sauce, mozzarella, arugula, cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese; and the Capricciosa – tomato sauce, mozzarella, ham, mushrooms, artichokes, black olives). We probably could have skipped the Sorriso pizza as it was essentially the salad we had on top of a thin-crust pizza, and the Capricciosa pizza was weird (the few artichoke leaves were all shoved into one slice of the pizza, and the few bits of ham, mushrooms, and black olives were all shoved into another slice, leaving most of the pizza bare of any toppings). But they were tasty pizzas, crust was thin and crunchy, cheese was flavorful. For dessert, we had the pistachio gelato (not creamy enough for my taste), homemade tiramisu (one of the best I’ve ever had!), and the dark chocolate cake (strong and dark but a bit dry).

You’re better off getting there early, or be prepared to wait. The place is small and loud and you might get stuck at a bad table. But the food is tasty and authentic – can’t ask for much more than that!