“Get the Guacamole”

Rosa Mexicano - Penn Quarter
Reserve with OpenTable
Rosa Mexicano - Penn Quarter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: F Street NW
Transit: Gallery Place - Chinatown
Description: Just west of our nation's Capitol, Rosa Mexicano Penn Quarter location is situated in the exceptionally restored 1924 Hecht’s building across from the Verizon Center. As the first Rosa Mexicano to open outside of New York City in December 2003, this D.C. location remains true to its roots by delivering authentic Mexican cuisine in a stylish, festive atmosphere. The interior features eye-catching details that include 14-foot wraparound windows, a spacious bar and lounge area, and a tequila bar offering a wide range of premium selections and margaritas. Traditional folk crafts have also been incorporated throughout the restaurant, most notably in a dramatic series of illuminated pilasters featuring festive Mexican masks mounted on the wall.It’s a feast for the eyes as well as the tastebuds.
“Get the Guacamole”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The tableside guacamole is awesome. They make it right in front of you in really cool bowls. That alone is a conversation piece. The food seemed authentic except for one major flaw. My wife ordered fish tacos and the fish was deep fried. She was thinking she was getting a lite dish and out comes these hunks of deep fried fish. The atmosphere is great. Everything else was great. I would not recommend the fish tacos however.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“LOVED THIS PLACE!!!!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

When you first walk in the atmosphere takes you back its lovely.The food is delicious and the guacamole is to die for we had two serving. My favorite was the fundido with chorizo I could of made that my main meal. The pomegranate margaritas were a hit at our table as well.The art work is lovely . We will go back there for sure. Make sure you do not fill up on the guacamole for its fabulous.Cant wait to go back a real treat.

Blairsville, Georgia
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Came here over a year ago and I am still having trouble comparing every Mexican restaurant with this wonderful place. This lovely restaurant is absolutely delicious in it's food and atmosphere.
The food is spectacular and very different from your normal Mexican restaurant cuisine. We were seated at the bar, though we were not drinking any alcoholic beverages, but the man at the bar who waited on us was very attentive and kind. I wish that I didn't live so many hundreds of miles away or I would make a special trip just to eat there.

• Visited March 2012
Vienna, Virginia
“Wednesday business lunch -- next to Verizon Center”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The food was outstanding -- only exceeded by the attentive waiter and additional servers. There were three of us enjoying a quiet business lunch, and, on balance, I would give this restaurant a rating of four stars, and here's why:
FOOD - Outstanding
SERVICE - Outstanding, but too many different wait staff attended our table - sometimes the waiter, sometimes servers carrying food from the kitchen, sometimes the hostess, etc. It just seemed that too many different folks were constantly approaching our table.
NOISE - maybe because it was busy over lunch, but the noise level in the restaurant was a little "too loud" for my liking -- we had to talk loud to be heard, and that just took away from the expected ambiance.
PRICE - a bit pricy for lunch -- three folks, no alcohol, and including tip was a little over $100. I could imagine the full bill being close to $200 were we to have had alcohol with the meal.
WILL I RETURN? Probably, but there's lots and lots of choices near Verizon Center / Chinatown for lunch, so we will see.

Visited February 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Table side guacamole and pomegranate margs”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Best guacamole I've had in D.C.! They make the guacamole right in front of you with very fresh ingredients. I would go here just for the guac and pomegranate margaritas (watch out they are strong!). I went for restaurant week and had the carne asada which arrived in a small sizzling iron skillet and the cheese was amazing. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone looking for a trendy and upscale Mexican meal.