“very good pizza and salmon plus nice atmosphere”
Review of Matchbox Pizza

Matchbox Pizza
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox Pizza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 3,368 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th and H Street
Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
Reviewed January 14, 2014

we ate at the 14th street location, and just missed getting seated at one of two booths that overlook the bar from the second floor.

the special pizza that day was "adobo pizza", and it was a wonderfully tasty combo with spiced meat, mild cheeses, and balsamic vinegar on a thin crust. my other half had the starter salad with salmon added - the salmon was good (note that she had to "double" the starter salad to get a portion that was still a touch smaller than what I would consider normal- apparently a starter size here is somewhere under 1 cup of uncompressed veggies, which is not a lot).

service was prompt, helpful and pleasant despite the place being full. the place is busy, but not noisy so its easy to carry on a conversation.

there seems to be a constant wait for a table. also, good luck trying to find parking if you visit the 14th street location.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,337)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We visited Matchbox 11/2013, and I have to say Im not sure that I will return.

We had a reservation and was seated promptly upstairs at the 1st table at the top of the steps. When we were seated I noticed the couple next to us and a group behind them. We were greeted by our waitress, Im sorry I forget her name and ordered our drinks as we were still deciding on our meal. After about 10 minutes we received our drinks...a water and a coke.

We placed our order and began the wait for our food. Looking at the tables around us they were finished eating and their plates sat for a good long while before the were finally picked up. Another table was sat behind us and I noticed they placed drink orders and also waited almost 15 minutes for their drinks.

A good 25-30 minutes passed until we received our food (1/2 chicken and a small pizza)....at this point our drinks were empty. Our food was delivered and they were far from hot. My husbands pizza was at most barely room temperature, and my potatoes were cold and tasted and had a texture as if they were day old. Our server no where to be found. She did not come to check on us nor did she refill our drinks. My husband had to go down to the bar to get us refills on our drinks. As my husband came back upstairs I noticed our server coming in to the room from the stairwell door by the soda machine. At that point she was kind enough to bring us drinks (because she saw my husband coming up the steps with refills).....At that point I was able to complain about the temperature of our food. Nothing was done except for a I'm sorry your food was cold.

I did not see a manager so my husband mentioned our complaint again to the bartender and he said he would pass it on, he actually said he was not surprised that my husband had to come down to get a refill....

As it turns our friends are ours were downstairs eating and they also had an issue with their service.

It would appear with that I witnessed on Friday evening when the restaurant was no were close to being filled there are many issues with your staff.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a late lunch on New Year's Eve, around 2:00 in the afternoon and although it was busy, we were seated in about 15 minutes. Three of us for lunch and we ordered the sliders (3 of them) as an appetizer and OMG, they were so good! The crispy onion straws and the gorgonzola cheese were the perfect flavor blend. The 3 of us shared a 14" pizza and it was just the right size and SO good! Matchbox is a fun and lively place and I highly recommend it. We had a great server as well but unfortunately, I've forgotten his name.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Arrived after a long haul flight and pretty much went straight to Matchbox Pizza after reading good reviews online. There wasn't a long wait for our table of four, and we were able to wait at the bar until they had one for us.

When at the table the staff were very polite, and always attentive throughout the meal. The food was exceptional. I only wish our appetites were bigger, but since we were tired we couldn't eat that much.

Would definitely recommend it to people visiting DC.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had a great brunch experience here. Interesting food options (very yummy bloody marys) and friendly service. I liked the outside seating on the patio. Next time we are in DC again, we will visit Matchbox. Check it out!