“A Gem on 8th Street” 4 of 5 bubbles

Las Placitas
Ranked #778 of 3,189 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, Salvadoran, South American, Central American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Cross street: Between E St. NE and G St. SE
Houston
“A Gem on 8th Street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This place is nothing fancy, but the Mexican/Salvadorian food is great. Portions are ample and the service is good. This is a popular restaurant on 8th street that deserves repeat visits to try different menu items. As a native Texan, I am typically not a fan of Mexican food outside of the state of Texas but this place is great.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Alexandria, Virginia
“Must Go Back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Las Placitas is a nice little Mexican/Salvadorian Restaurant in the Navy Yard area of DC.
The food was pretty good, but I feel like I need to go back and try more before I can give an honest assessment. I had the enchiladas combo, which was pretty good, but the fajidas looked amazing. I also want to try more of the Salvadorian food, as that is usually pretty good.
The salsa was one of my favorites that I've had at Mexican restaurants...very tomatoey!

The margaritas were good.

There is out-door seating and they can handle larger parties. I did feel that inside, it got pretty warm, despite the ceiling fans.

• Visited July 2013
Washington DC
“Outstanding service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Want great food and outstanding margaritas? Las Placitas is the place to go. Granted we are locals, so we hang out at Las Placitas a lot, but that in itself should tell you that we obviously like the place. First of all, they have the best margaritas around. I have been trying margaritas in every country I have lived, and in every state, and few match up. Highly intoxicating, too, so you need a designated driver. The food is superb. I particularly love all their specialty dishes, i.e. Puerco al horno or any of the chicken, but long before I really started eating those, I was a major burrito and chimichanga fan, plus the fajitas. The food is very plentiful, the taste is great and the service is very good. The restaurant is fairly low key. Central Americans have their own decorating styles, so it very reflective of their culture and pretty typical. The owners, Isidoro and Jose, are great people and it is their pleasure to bring you the best. Buen Provecho!

• Visited May 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Great El Salvadorian food on a street with great ethnic food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and l love food from other countries and the food from El Salvador is not one with which we have much experience. We stopped in here after sampling Balkan, and Turkish restaurants on the same block and it is apparent that in order to survive on this street you must offer something special.

I had the Salvadorian sampler plate and enjoyed the black beans, tamales, plantains and rice. While similar to Mexican food it is different and this restaurant provided the opportunity to experience this. My wife loved the margaritas. That it is an institution was made clear when we noticed an endorsement from our representative to the House from our district in Seattle in the entry.

We will definitely be back.

• Visited March 2013
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Still the BEST Mexican and Salvadorean food in Washington D.C.--Perhaps the country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Isidoro and his brother Ramon have been running Las Placitas for nearly a quarter century. It has become a Capital Hill instution. GREAT Margaritas and great food. Seafood dishes are amazing. The best tamal de ote you will eat anywhere.

• Visited March 2013