“Christmas Dinner in DC”
Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #163 of 3,382 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, Central European, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We dined as a family at 4PM on Christmas Day. (16 of us)
Service was excellent thanks to Mikaela who kept us all chuckling with her wry humor and charming accent.
Everyone was able to find something to their liking on a menu filled with traditional as well as game type offerings like boar, venison etc. My brother-in-law even had goose which was a first.
On a warm day I would opt for the sidewalk patio but indoors was cozy on a cold winters day.
Good food, well priced for DC and nice experience.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

The food was good. Desert was NOT FRESH, at best yesterdays and refrigerated. BTW I forgot to mention probably purchased from COSTCO or BJ’s. I cannot imagine to eat apple strudel like that at a German small authentic place.

Reviewed November 17, 2010

We sat outside in the garden on a sunny November day and enjoyed a simple tastly lunch. I had the smkoey bauenwurst w potato salad and a cup of bean soup with ham and a tall cool Weissbeer. Yum, wish I lived near aplace like this. Very cute. Good wait staff.

Reviewed October 5, 2010

I wanted German food for dinner one evening in Washington, and I learned of Cafe Berlin from a Washington-area visitor's magazine. The restaurant is a few blocks from Union Station, so it was easy to get to the restaurant via the Metro.

When we arrived, we were greeted by a woman with a German accent. That's always a good sign. The restaurant is cozy, and we were seated at a table for two near the front window. Many traditional German dishes are on the menu, we ordered the jagerschnitzel (pork cutlet in a mushroom cream sauce with spaetzle (a type of noodle)) and the schweinehaxe (pork knuckle with sauerkraut and potatoes). Both were well prepared and delicious. The pork knuckle was a giant portion! The schnitzel was tasty, although not quite as tender as I expected. I also ordered a Spaten Oktoberfest beer to drink. The total bill was less than $60 for two of us.

There was a bountiful dessert offering, but we were both so full we couldn't eat another bite.

I have visited Germany many times, and I like German food. The food at Cafe Berlin is as good as anything I have ever eaten in Germany. While I don't visit Washington, DC, very often, I hope I can return soon to visit Cafe Berlin. (CS)

1  Thank TravelerChriss
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Please, don't think this has anything to do with German food! The only tasty dish we had was potato pancakes, and the waiter brought them by mistake. "German sausage salad" had SPAM for sausage, I am not making it up! We had Hungarian gouliash - bland and with awful noodles cooked probably a month earlier. Schintzel was OK, but all red cabbage came straight from supermarket can, and the worst kind of it. The choice of draft beers - three, one of them wheat, which is not very popular in Germany. Then we had two different fruit tarts for desert, both tasteless. The only good thing about this place - you can sit outside, though there is not enough light over most tables.