“This is NOT German food!”
Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, Central European, International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Illinois
“This is NOT German food!”
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Please, don't think this has anything to do with German food! The only tasty dish we had was potato pancakes, and the waiter brought them by mistake. "German sausage salad" had SPAM for sausage, I am not making it up! We had Hungarian gouliash - bland and with awful noodles cooked probably a month earlier. Schintzel was OK, but all red cabbage came straight from supermarket can, and the worst kind of it. The choice of draft beers - three, one of them wheat, which is not very popular in Germany. Then we had two different fruit tarts for desert, both tasteless. The only good thing about this place - you can sit outside, though there is not enough light over most tables.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Beautiful outdoor dining, fantastic beer + food”
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I went here a little bit hesitantly since I know nothing about German food. My idea of it is that it is all pork sausages with cabbage and beer. However, I was quickly blown away by every course. The bread that was served was accompanied by an amazingly delicately flavored home made butter that has to be tasted to be believed. For an appetizer I ordered the Brie, which I HIGHLY recommend. It's like mozzarella sticks taken to the next level. It was served with pears and Lingonberries. Wiener Schnitzel is not made with Pork as I thought, but veal. The Apple Strudel was the icing on the cake of the evening, and it was absolutely delicious with warm fresh apples, fresh cream and delicate layers of pastry. The beer was so good. The had only three choices but you can't go wrong with any. The outdoor seating was beautiful at night with lots of lights and intimate tables. If you have never tried German food, or went to Germany and miss the food, this is the place to go.

ft lauderdale, FL
“GREAT BEER AND GOOD DINNER”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Well, to be honest, we were looking for more of a selection of wursts (sausage). There were only two types, one of which we did not want (white). So, we opted for the Pork loin, which were Pork chops and not loin. However, they were smoked and tender, so they were pretty good. The potatoes and sauerkraut are delicious. The sauerkraut is not the typical sour kind, but more on the sweet side, the way real sauerkraut should be. The beer was fabulous - called Spaten Maybock. I like a beer with a little bitterness and a lot of alcohol. This was it. The service was very good and the atmosphere good also. The only reason I am not giving the food a 5 is because they did not have knockwurst and they were chops and not loin. Our total bill without tip came to $85.14: 4 beers $28 2 Dinners $37.90 1 Dessert $5.50 and 1 after dinner drink $6.00 Tax $7.74. Was it worth it: Yes. When we are on vacation we splurge. And the only place we can get good German food in South Florida is Epcot.

Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,718 helpful votes
“A Great Experience”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I celebrated my birthday at the Cafe Berlin. The food and service were exceptional. I thought I was in Bavaria. This was a great dining experience.

1 Thank CJTravelerTexas
Pensacola, Florida
“Expected good, but it exceeded expectations.”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My wife & I took my son and his family to Dinner at the Cafe Berlin. He had just returned from six years in Germany. The Food was very good as was the beer. The atmosphere was reminiscent of a gasthaus in Germany. My son & his wife loved it. The Owners and waitresses are german/ bavarian and really contribute to the authenticity of the experience. Well worth you time and money.

2 Thank 1straveler