“cold bolony salad??”
Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #149 of 3,216 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, European, Central European, International
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Taos, New Mexico
“cold bolony salad??”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I ordered the salad and when it arrived I asked what I ordered, they told me in German that this is what I ordered. I said it looks and tastes like cold bolony, Yea that what it is. So I told them to take it back, I would not eat it, and they charged me for it. Not worth the $9 worth of bad feelings and a poor report.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Loved beer and schnitzel!”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My fiancé and I got there after a long day around national mall. It was like 10 min by car from the union station where we parked. When we were seated, the outside atmosphere reminded us cafes at the waterfront. Of course the only missing thing was water :) Small tables, candles and warm weather were all in accordance with each other. Our waitress was very kind. Actually all waitresses were kind and running around for very fast servicing. I can say the service was 5+.

I got Wiener Schnitzel and my fiancé got Ungarisches Goulash. They were both delicious! Even I could not finish my schnitzel and we shared it. For drinks, I got a wheat beer which was not strong as I preferred and my fiancé got a pilsener. I'm not a beer lover but I loved this one. We were very happy with our meals and drinks :))) For dessert, they brought us a tray to show and explain the types. This was a good idea I believe. There were 8-9 types of cakes available and they all looked very fresh. We wanted to have something traditional but not heavy. Our waitress suggested us 2-3 types and we chose the raspberry pie. It was also delicious :))) So we had a great and interesting dinner here and loved the place!

1 Thank cione
Hollins, Virginia
“Did not disappoint”
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We ate there during a visit to DC on Easter Sunday. We always seek out German food on our travels (and this was not our first visit here, although the last was several years ago). The outdoor atmosphere was great, and the food was excellent.

It was crowded upon our arrival, but we were seated immediately without reservations.

I ordered the pan-fried pork tenderloin with spaetzle, and it was really outstanding. (This is a special dish, not normally on the menu.) We ordered a variety of other food, and it was all good.

Service was OK - nothing to write home about, but no complaints.

It is expensive, but good German food always is.

Sunday evening parking does not appear to be a problem - we parked directly across Mass Ave.

Northeast U.S.
“Gem hidden in plain sight”
Reviewed March 20, 2010

My partner and I had lunch at Cafe Berlin last week with a friend who works nearby. We would never have found it on our own: it's situated in a short block of townhouses, by one or two other restaurants, and the only way to tell it was a separate, German restaurant was by the Spaten umbrellas on the terrace. We had a splendid, if indulgent, lunch: potato pancakes, sausage, one of the specials, soup of the day, dessert, and, of course, beer. Both the bratwurst and weisswurst sandwiches had some of the most delicious sausages we've had in years -- and this opinion comes from a midwestern farm boy who grew up raising hogs, and a just-about-100%-German-ancestry girl who has eaten sausage in Schwabia and Bavaria a number of times. The waitress was friendly, knowledgeable, and native German; the service was swift and unobtrusive. I would go back in a heartbeat, and will put Cafe Berlin near the top of my personal DC favorites. For lunch, it's possible to have a sandwich and beer and finish up for under $20/person, including tax and tip, which makes it a pretty great find for Capitol Hill.

1 Thank NoRestForTheWeary
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Great value, great food”
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Ever find a great little "hole in the wall"? This is like that. remodeled townhouse, so small but nice. They have outside dining if the weather is good. No reservations required, but you may have a wait. Excellent German food, decent pricing, friendly staff, good value. After dinner, try the applecorn schnapps.

1 Thank tlc141