“Great German food in a great location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #123 of 3,189 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, European, Central European, International
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Maryland
“Great German food in a great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband surprised me with dinner with with friends for my birthday! T
Located several blocks from Union Station, it is an easy walk. We sat on the patio which was lovely. Service and food were great as we're the seasonal drinks! Great place with good at,ospher. Make sure to save room for dessert, I believe they are made on the premises., well worth the calories!

• Visited July 2013

Brisbane, Australia
“The food was reasonable. The service was surly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went to Cafe Berlin on Sunday for a meal, there were 5 of us, the friends who were with us had been there before and asked for the lunch menu it was just after 1.30pm when we entered. The waitress informed us the lunch menu did not come into force till 3pm, but our friends had been there before so the waitress finally capitulated. The waitress was not that keen to be there, yet there was only one other table full of people in the restaurant. The lunch menu was asked for and we received the feeling that we were holding up the waitress as we did not make our minds up quickly enough. We did get what we required off the lunch menu the food was good, but I must admit I have no desire to go back, she was so quick with the bill it even arrived before we had a chance to look at dessert, which 2 members of our party had, so she had to return the bill to her pocket. After dessert was presented the bill was given without any delay which was duly filled out and all she was interested in was the tip at the bottom. Staff should be taught how to serve seeing they seem to be so dependent on the tips. When we tried to make a reservation it was not accepted. This establishment is licensed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Detroit Native-Nashville Resident
“Really Good to Go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We ate here twice on six-day trip to D.C. It was high quality food, good service, and access to German beer not available elsewhere.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank I-heart-my-passport
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Sehr Gut!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have been going to Café Berlin for years for good German food. We have tried it twice since it changed hands in the last year or so. Located just a few blocks from Union Station it has a very pleasant and intimate interior and a nice patio in front. Food is very good. Service was a little slow. On our most recent visit I had the German Sausage platter that came with sauerkraut and potatoes. It was delicious! That and a cold German beer hit the spot! German mixed salad good to share. Total bill was about $100 with 4 drinks included. Do the patio on a nice day and enjoy!

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best German food in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I lived in Germany as a child for 5 years. I'm hard pressed to find authentic German food in the DC area that tastes like "home". I was thrilled when I found Cafe Berlin. It's a hike for me as I live in the burbs, but it's always worth it. The staff is friendly, the food is yummy, and the beer garden atmosphere in the heart of Capitol Hill is perfect on a warm evening.

My favorite is the potato pancakes. I also get the salad sampler and wish there was a bigger portion :) My favorite entree is the schnitzel, but my husband gets the sausages and says they are fantastic. I tend to stick with the strudel for dessert (didn't like the poppy cake...weird), and of course, a nice German beer finishes off the meal. Sehr Gut!

• Visited June 2013