“Best German food in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #163 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, European, Central European, International
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best German food in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I lived in Germany as a child for 5 years. I'm hard pressed to find authentic German food in the DC area that tastes like "home". I was thrilled when I found Cafe Berlin. It's a hike for me as I live in the burbs, but it's always worth it. The staff is friendly, the food is yummy, and the beer garden atmosphere in the heart of Capitol Hill is perfect on a warm evening.

My favorite is the potato pancakes. I also get the salad sampler and wish there was a bigger portion :) My favorite entree is the schnitzel, but my husband gets the sausages and says they are fantastic. I tend to stick with the strudel for dessert (didn't like the poppy cake...weird), and of course, a nice German beer finishes off the meal. Sehr Gut!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank dzturtle

Galveston, Texas
“Great German food in US”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have no German restaurants where we live so when on vacation we try to find one. This is a very good German restaurant, like the food I remember when in Germany! We loved the patio seating and the service was top notch. The portions were very large, we had to take some to goback to the hotel with us a midnight snack. I would recomend this small but cozy eatery to anyone loving German food.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank cnelson2040
Washington, DC
“Good lunch; low price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

It's been years since I visited Cafe Berlin, but I met a friend for lunch. Our sandwiches were very well made and quite tasty, came with potato salad and a cup of soup, and cost all of ten bucks each. Service was lovely, and the air conditioning worked on a very hot day. What else can you ask for? I gotta come back here again and try more of the menu. I can't yet speak to the rest of the menu, but I tell you that you can't go wrong at lunch.

• Visited August 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“Just like Grandma used to cook”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Two of my Grandparents were German and I grew up on German food. With the passing of that generation, I hadn`t had the food that I remembered so well, until we found the Café Berlin. The food was excellent and was served in the promptest, pleasantest manner. I will return to yester-year again and again.

• Visited July 2013
Herndon, Virginia
“A German restaurant worth your hard earned $”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife is German and I lived in Germany for 4+ years, so we know German food and sadly we'd given up on wasting time and money trying so-called German restaurants in the US (even in Milwaukee I've been disappointed). Cafe Berlin is the first German restaurant in the US where we not only enjoyed but savored our food. I started with a house cocktail made with German Rhein wine, champagne and strawberries - really refreshing! I had a bowl of goulasch soup which was as good as (if not better than) what I had during my last visit to Germany in November 2012. And my Schlachtplatte, a combination of wursts, speck and sauerkraut with hearty housemade German mustard, was authentic and tasty! We will definitely be back. Danke schoen!

• Visited June 2013