“I recommend the Rinderroulade or Bärlauch Maultraschen”
Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #195 of 3,298 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, Central European, International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

If you are looking for authentic German Food in DC; this is a restaurant to visit. It is near Union Station Metro line on Mass Ave. in Capitol Hill. Service was ok; a tad slow between appetizers and main meal. And despite my turning upside down the empty bottle of wine in the ice bucket; it sat there until we left. Staff was not attention orientated. The food was good to very good. My wife and I had the Wiener Schnitzel which was a tad thin and slightly over cooked resulting in it being a little dry. My son had the Rinderroulade which was very good and a dish I would recommend. My daughter had the vegetarian Bärlauch Maultraschen; which is ravioli filled with cheese (quark) and garlic in a cream sauce and tasted exceptional; I would recommend it as well. The wine list is thin, not enough in my opinion to pick from and the beer selection is ok; some good German beers on the list. We had the lone bottle of Gewürztraminer on the list which for $39 was very good. Expect to pay over $200 for four including a bottle of wine and desert. The desert selection was typical German fare including what I had, the Apple Strudel. It was tasty. All in all worth a trip if you like German food.

1  Thank GGraessle

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary with dinner at the Cafe Berlin last week. They were wonderful. I had ordered flowers to be delivered to the restaurant and when we arrived the waiter gave me a knowing wink and delivered them to our table to my wonderfully surprised bride. They also brought us two glasses of champagne on the house to help us celebrate and an appetizer. We had a wonderful meal at the Cafe Berlin. All the food was wonderful and their prices were very reasonable. I would go back for every anniversary dinner or just for dinner!!!

1  Thank chache47
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you have a craving for authentic German food, head to Capitol Hill on Mass Ave to Cafe Berlin.
The menu is authentic German. The beer is German and great. The wine is fine. The food and service are excellent.
The outdoor seating is excellent and inside is a little piece of Germany
Go try enjoy!

1  Thank HillTraveller
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restaurant, situated in the lowest lever of a number of townhouses has somewhat of an authentic Rathskeller feel...whether they were going for that or not. The menu is varied, but not too big or complicated. We devoured everything which included potato pancakes, a flat bread appetizer, sauer braten and viener schnitzel. Our waitress was very attentive and took a sincere interest in what we ordered and how we liked it. The decor is not what I recall of a typical German restaurant. I am more used to little trains running around the ceiling and lots of coo coo clocks. This was a little more understated and was less about the culture / kitch then it was about the food. No complaints and was definately a meal you do no walk away from hungry.

1  Thank hundredmpg
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The beer was very good quality and authentic, house pino noir was nice, and the atmosphere is quaint. My child loved the bratwurst sandwich, my husband's reuben was crispy and delicious, and the potato soup is buttery and smooth without being too salty. Potato salad had a nice tang without being overpowering, and bavarian saurkraut had bay leaf for a nice touch. For dessert, the custard with chocolate was light and fluffy, and the blueberry crumb was rich, and nether dessert was sickeningly sweet, so they would pair well with dessert wine or coffee. Our server was fabulous. We would certainly go again.

1  Thank Fugler