“Very Hearty and Tasty, Stick-to-your-Ribs Fare”
Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #182 of 3,284 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, Central European, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restaurant, situated in the lowest lever of a number of townhouses has somewhat of an authentic Rathskeller feel...whether they were going for that or not. The menu is varied, but not too big or complicated. We devoured everything which included potato pancakes, a flat bread appetizer, sauer braten and viener schnitzel. Our waitress was very attentive and took a sincere interest in what we ordered and how we liked it. The decor is not what I recall of a typical German restaurant. I am more used to little trains running around the ceiling and lots of coo coo clocks. This was a little more understated and was less about the culture / kitch then it was about the food. No complaints and was definately a meal you do no walk away from hungry.

1  Thank hundredmpg
There are newer reviews for Cafe Berlin

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The beer was very good quality and authentic, house pino noir was nice, and the atmosphere is quaint. My child loved the bratwurst sandwich, my husband's reuben was crispy and delicious, and the potato soup is buttery and smooth without being too salty. Potato salad had a nice tang without being overpowering, and bavarian saurkraut had bay leaf for a nice touch. For dessert, the custard with chocolate was light and fluffy, and the blueberry crumb was rich, and nether dessert was sickeningly sweet, so they would pair well with dessert wine or coffee. Our server was fabulous. We would certainly go again.

1  Thank Fugler
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Cafe Berlin staff were friendly and welcoming. Service was attentive and suggestions made were delicious. The dinner was over the top. We had the sauerbraten- which was the best ever. And dessert, was incredible.

1  Thank Diane W
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I chose a quiet evening to dine at Cafe Berlin. The restaurant is cozy and romantic. The food I ordered was delicious and the staff was wonderful. The restaurant is located in an historic 1897 building - the decor and atmosphere is so relaxing. Perfect place to go on a date, have a business dinner, or dine alone. I went alone and was made to feel welcome.

1  Thank RS212
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had a terrific meal, very attentive waitress and I have to say some of the tastiest schnitzel I have eaten outside of Germany, would definitely return, The restaurant has a cosy atmosphere and a range of deserts to die for

1  Thank JudyGraham