“Maybe just a bad day?”
Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #202 of 3,342 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, Central European, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Decent food, but service so bad we couldn't even get a check. A visit to the register after a 20 minute wait got neither an apology nor any attempt to keep us as return customers from the manager. Maybe it was just a bad day; we won't return to find out.

1  Thank Kim T

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'm giving it 4 stars because they had gooseberry pie! You can't always find gooseberry pie and they had it on the dessert menu this day! I can't say it will always be there but it was on my visit and I was super happy!

We dined with friends who are local and had been dining here since it opened. So honestly, we felt as though we were family. I want to say we were treated special. Watching the owner flit about the patio tables it seems she treats everyone as if they were dining in her home. Service was fantastic.

The Oktoberfest celebration was underway and they had a special menu. We chose from that the pig's knuckle and the sausage platter to split between four of us.

The pig's knuckle was huge and flavorful. The sausage platter came with 4 small pieces of sausages that were barely enough to share. For $23 I was really disappointed. But the sauerkraut, while also small in portion, was some of the best I've ever had. Sweet and tender and just enough tartness to make you want to order a big ol' bowl of it on its own!

We sat outside on the patio. Being from Houston the ability to sit outside and not be hot or eaten up by mosquitos was a treat in and of itself. The weather was perfect and the twinkling lights and ambiance helps to add to the 3 star I was going to give it based on the food and value.

Parking sucks. I have been reminded of that by our hosts everywhere we have ventured so be aware a cab from your hotel might be best.

I ordered a German pilsner which I had hoped would come in one of the huge beer steins I saw a server carry out to another table. But no such luck. So if you want the full German beer experience with the beer haus big stein be sure to ask your server which ones come in them.

Honestly I can't remember what the little digestive was we shot after the meal. It suddenly appeared in front of me. It's some sort of apple schnapps and seems to be THE thing to have following a meal here. So be sure to ask your server.

1  Thank Katles
Reviewed September 9, 2012

A little different from the German food we are used to all areas cook a bit differently,however the food was very good and homemade our waiter was pleasant and personable. If you like heiferwiessen this is the place for you along with a nice glass of reisling. Dessert looked amazing although i did not have any my husband had a bavarian cheesecake he was raving about it all nite. If you like German food you will enjoy this little gem. Doesn't hurt to buy a restaurant.com gift certificate and save 25.00 so you can enjoy more drinks.

1  Thank UsaBratrat
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Picked this restaurant based on proximity to my hotel and tripadvisor reviews. My experience was consistent with what others say. Good German style food and beer. Good efficient service. Tried the escargot which was so-so. It could have been hotter. The sausage platter was a decent portion and tasty potatoes and sauerkraut. We ate inside but they have a nice patio. Quiet.

2  Thank dchemist
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Came here for an 8.30pm dinner on a Saturday night, and we were glad we had reserved. It was pretty packed! The service was very friendly and knowledgeable, and the food was authentic and good!

Not all German restaurants in DC can compare, so this one is definitely standing out! I am a German citizen + a cook, so I think I can judge the authenticity and the quality.

Great vegetarian options available also! I went for that and really enjoyed it. OK, it wasn't German but rather Italian, but it was great food freshly made. Hubby loved his Ungarisches Gulasch with Spaetzle and Rotkohl, and that was the main reason we were here. Absolutely recommended if you eat meat!

The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable, could even pronounce the dishes correctly, in my book that is actually an extra plus point. They know what they are offering there, they are either Germans like myself or had been living in my country for a while. The food was well prepared and authentic and fresh.

Try the homemade Rote Gruetze for dessert!! It is really fresh and I cannot make it better than it was served there. (And I am really famous for mine, seriously!)

It is a bit pricey, and there will be 10% sales tax added to your invoice, plus they take their gratuity (20%??) right off with it. So you might want to look for a coupon (Groupon, Restaurant.com or so). But even if it is just once, you should really come here if you want to get something authentically German.

3  Thank Albgardis T