“Tasty Greek Tapas on 14th St”
Review of Kapnos

Kapnos
Reserve with OpenTable
Kapnos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #173 of 3,338 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013

If you live in or have visited DC, you know that it's becoming overrun with tapas. Some would argue it allows restaurants to charge entree prices for smaller portions (which is probably true), while others would say it's a great way to test or try out new food that you might not have ordered an entire plate of.

I'm somewhere in the middle of these two schools of thought on tapas, so when I heard that Mike Isabella was opening another tapas-style restaurant, I was eager to try it out. DC doesn't have a lot of Greek options, so I was excited that that would be the focus of Kapnos.

As with all tapas restaurants, Kapnos servers suggest 3-4 tapas per person. On both occasions that I went to Kapnos with friends, I was more than satisfied with just one or two. I found the portions to be quite filling, but I suppose it depends on what you end up ordering.

I've had both brunch (which Kapnos recently started serving) here twice and they were both very good. I did have a slight preference for the more "lunch" items (their meat is amazing) and found everything to be seasoned quite well. The flavors meld together really well and it was nice to try out things that I wouldn't normally think of putting together (like the lamb and egg dish - the name of which currently escapes me.). The atmosphere is decent and the service is good. The music could use some work (I heard the same songs a couple times during one visit), but I suspect that wouldn't be noticed by most customers.

I have yet to try the sandwich shop next door, which seems to always get more people than Kapnos (at least the times I've been there), but I look forward to trying it sometime in the future. I would argue that Kapnos is better than Graffiato (which is probably still the more popular place) and is a good option if you're not able to get into Graffiato and want to experience more of a DC neighborhood than the Chinatown/Gallery Place (a largely business area) is.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

The sandwich shop during lunch hours is excellent. Get the hero or the suckling pig sandwich. Chicken parm is not bad either. Side dish of olives is great.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Kapnos is great, a fun environment, great food, and great service - only negative is that it is yet another tapas style restaurant on 14th street.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

You have got to try the charred octopus and the spread with the caviar in it. Both are textures and flavors that I have not found elsewhere, and both are phenomenal.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My partner and I went to Kapnos in an effort to try all the new eateries on 14th Street, and overall we felt that it was good quality Greek food in a fun atmosphere.

I had heard a lot of buzz about this restaurant because it's a Mike Isabella place, and I haven't really been wowed by Bandolero or Graffiato, so I was a bit skeptical. We love Greek food, so we were interested to see what they had you offer. We started with the tzatziki yogurt mezze with cucumber, dill, which was absolutely delicious. It's one of the best spreads I've ever had, and the random bits of jalapeno and they're really added a complex flavor. Over anything else I had during his meal, I would recommend the tzatziki more than anything else. Also try the pork shoulder, which was delicious and a good portion. They have it spit-roasting on the open kitchen, see you can see what you were getting.

I wasn't too impressed with the vegetable sides they had an offer. The cauliflower was overpowered by the tomato sauce, and the brussels sprouts were very salty and filled with oil.

The drink situation was kind of annoying, because the first two beers I ordered, the server had to come back and say that they didn't have either, each time. And when I order a $7 bottle of beer, to not have it and then recommend something that's double the price is a bit tacky. I think a restaurant more focused on customer service would have either recommended something at the same price range, or served me the more expensive beer but charge me the price of the beer that they didn't have. On a street in a city crowded with restaurant options, it's little things like that that will get you.

Overall, despite the hiccups, we had a very delicious meal at Kapnos. It's a bit pricey considering you have to order a few items tapas-style, but that tzatziki spread would keep me coming back for more.