“Great Food”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I ate here one night and the food was excellent. My curry needed a little more spice in it, but not everyone likes it hot. My husband had a shrimp dish and it was excellent. Try this place, it's worth it. More expensive than Florida, but it was a good price for good food.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I bought an egg roll for lunch. It was dried out and over cooked . I asked for one that was not dried out. They gave me another dried out egg roll. I do not recommend the egg rolls.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

What's happened to City Lights of China? It used to be a bustling place with well prepared dishes. Four of us went in on a Friday at around seven & the place was almost empty. It also looked run down & shabby.

Oh, well, I thought. So what if the paint is peeling and the booths look they they haven't been cleaned well in months, the service and food will make up for that.

Well, the service was bad. We sat unattended for five minutes. Then a guy came to take drink orders, but couldn't handle them, mumbled something, and then walked away. A few more minutes went by.

A waitress came and seemingly competently took our drink and food orders. The next thing that happened was a bowl of soup appeared before the drinks came. The drinks came in waves of two. Then our appetizers--edamame and veggie steamed dumplings--arrived at a time. The dumplings--once a treasure--were rubbery & bland.

The waitress kept trying to take away the edamame before we finished. And our entrees came out one at a time, too. The eggplant in garlic sauce was tangy & delish & the sautéed spinach flavorful. But the tofu & basil was tasteless & the General's tofu greasy.

My wife awoke with stomach pains the next morning. We won't be going back.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

For over a year, I have kept giving City Lights another chance. All too frequently, something was not right about a meal: The Hot and Sour soup might be too spicy, or not spicy enough; on several occasions when I have gotten a "pick up" meal, on getting home I found that the order was either incorrect or incomplete; etc. But I kept giving them another chance. No more. When I brought home a recent meal, I found the following: The crispy squid was tasteless, the vegetable soup was just a few slices of vegetables in a salty broth; worst of all, the fried rice in the fried rice and pork dish was nothing but white rice--literally--to which a few peas and bits of egg had been added. No more chances. I will be getting my Chinese meals elsewhere from now on.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

The food is delicious (I highly recommend the combination noodle soup and the steamed General Tsao with asparagus). The space is cozy. The people are extremely friendly. Delivery is fast. Prices are good (for DC). What more could one ask for?