“Fantastic Dinner, Acceptable Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of CEIBA - CLOSED

CEIBA
Cuisines: Latin, American, Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: G Street
Transit: Metro Center & Red Line
Seattle, WA
“Fantastic Dinner, Acceptable Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2005

Joined a friend at Ceiba for dinner during D.C.'s "Restaurant Week." Meals during this week included a starter, entree, and desert. Though my acquaintance's reservation was originally for one person, Ceiba found an extra seat for me. The space is impressive, though the tables are slightly crowded and noisy--would not have been as bad if they weren't so busy. The meal started w/a generous and enjoyable sampling of flatbread and a hummus-type spread made of beans spiced w/cumin. Our pre-meal cocktails included the retaurant's version of ginger beer w/a noticable touch of rum--very good--I had two. Our starters, both mixed greens, were satisfactory and not over-dressed. With the entrees, Ceiba did not cheep out just because it was restaurant week. Every entree on the menu, with the exception of the steak, was available for the $30.05 fixed price (the steak was only a few dollars more). My bouillabaisse was one of the best I've ever had, chock full of mussels, shrimp, a few other fish, and a half-tail of a small lobster. I ate every drop of the wonderfull broth. My friend had sea scallops w/serrano ham and not a crumb was left on her plate. We both skipped desert, opting instead for coffee and after dinner drinks. Service was fairly efficient. I had to look for the server a time or two, but the place was packed. Overall, Ceiba was above expectations and was one of the best meals I had in D.C. I would definately return.

Toronto, CANADA
“Ceiba is among Washington's best restaurants!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2004

What great luck...I walked by Ceiba yesterday afternoon on the way to a meeting. Having just landed in DC, and with a nice hunger building, I was looking for a good place for dinner with another out-of-town colleague. Ceiba's menu (well displayed in glass as you walk by the outside of the restaurant) looked to be truly unique; a fusion of Latin American, a bit of California, and a healthy dose of seafood dished with a bit of an edge. This was an amazing restaurant. The Jamaican fritters with a creamy habanero sauce were truly memorable and not at all greasy. The portion sizes are perfect and the food has such a fresh and, again, unique, flavour. The shrimp skewers with a pineapple creme fraiche salsa were made even better by some very tangy guacamole served in a huge onion ring. The list of single malts and exotic tequilas is also noteworthy. Ceiba is a great place in an even better location. Service was amazing, seats are comfortable, you are made to feel at ease. Well worth the trip!