“Okay food, decent prices for DC.”
Review of Cafe Luna - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: DuPont Circle metro
Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

This place is close to DuPont circle. We chose it because it had a wide variety of items on menu. We had hamburgers and fries and grilled cheese with tomato soup. The burgers were okay. The tomato soup was disgusting. It tasted liked ketchup! Portions were big and prices were inexpensive. Total bill for 3 was only 35.00.
The decor was nothing special.
It took a while to get service and a while to get food. It was very busy. We assumed from the line to get in that it would be amazing. It was jut okay.
I think we should have tried breakfast instead.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

We went in today mid afternoon. Only a few tables there but service was incredibly slow. Ordered two sandwiches and when we asked after 1/2 hour about them they offered to bring one out and not the other. Seems like the panini was lost in the kitchen. Finally came out and was mediocre at best and soup was too salty. Hot day and drinking water had no ice. Decor inside is like a cheap hotel lobby. In such a fashionable area of town I cannot imagine how this place hopes to stay relavent if this is the best they can do. Lived in the neighborhood for years but won't go back here.

1  Thank Car0linian
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I visited on a Tuesday evening, and found the place pretty empty around 8:30pm. A big sign at the door instructed me to wait to be seated, which I did until a busperson told me to sit wherever I wanted to. A menu arrived relatively quickly, and my iced tea was served promptly. The Caesar salad was decent. I had the catfish and a side of grilled asparagus. The catfish was tasty, the breading not too greasy. The sweet potato fries, on the other hand, were fairly greasy, which made the accompanying sour cream a welcome dip to cut through the grease. The hushpuppies definitely weren't from a secret southern recipe -- they were extremely heavy and quite large, although they did have a good flavor. The asparagus was perfectly grilled. After dinner was served, I thought my waitress had quit -- I was almost finished eating when she finally came to make sure everything was OK (and finally offer me a refill on my iced tea). It was a little disappointing, especially considering that she was quite prompt at the beginning of my meal.

One of the nice things about the menu is that breakfast is available all day long so, if you're an eggs person, this place might be a good choice.

I had eaten here about six or seven years ago and had an extremely positive experience then. Unfortunately, it seems that Cafe Luna has lost its mojo a bit.

I would say the place is worthwhile if you want a quick meal for a relatively low price, although I would try some of the other restaurants in the area if I were to do it again.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Good food, not expensive, friendly staff, good selection for even the pickiest eater.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Washingtonians love their brunch. You want to go to a place that has a line out front, as did Cafe Luna. Happily, the wait wasn't too long (maybe 15 mins.). The staff was friendly & welcoming, the atmosphere fun (altho it can get pretty loud), and the food well-priced & delish. I had a chicken/onion/mozzarella omelette, and my son and husband had the steak benedict and crab cake benedict. Home fries are a must. Everything was very good, altho it did take quite a while to get the food. The waitress apologized and since we weren't in a big rush, it was all good.