“Great food!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: H Street
Transit: Metro: Chinatown/Galllery Place (Chinatown exit.) 1 bloc from metro station.
Columbus, Ohio
“Great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We enjoyed the food - the green tea salad and the bean curd entree were great. Service was fine, atmosphere was fine, but the food was outstanding.

• Visited February 2013

Porto Alegre, RS
“Worth the experience !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

A simple but good restaurant with good food. Burma is the former name of the current republic of Myanmar a country that has received many influences from neighboring countries in its culinary, like Thailand, India and China, and this can be felt in the dishes that are served. Overall, the food is not remarkable, but it's worth the experience in the flavors of this exotic cuisine.

• Visited January 2013
Hercules, California
“its Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

the food was not great no taste, the server did not notice us until my sister nod at her.i order fish tamarind lack of seasoning, the noodles is the same. i do like the fried squash.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank pinay60
Baltimore, Maryland
“A Taste of Burma in Downtown DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Until recently, those of us in the US and Europe had to travel half a world away to get Burmese food. But now, Burmese restaurants are popping up all over, often replacing closed Chinese or Vietnamese eateries. Washington DC and its suburbs in Virginia and Maryland now have at least three Burmese restaurants that I know of, so I thought it high time I started sampling them.

I have wanted to try DC’s Burma restaurant for a few years now, but for one reason or another, never managed to get there when they were open. It sits right in the heart of Chinatown on 740 6th St NW (off of H street), on the second floor above a Thai eatery. When a colleague suggested we go out to lunch recently to discuss an upcoming project, I jumped at the chance to try the restaurant that had so long beckoned me.

We’ve been having what can only be described as monsoon rains here in the DC area, and on the day we dined at Burma my colleague and I both got drenched on our way to lunch. The decor and atmosphere of Burma are plain and unassuming with a few paintings and crafts to decorate the walls, and on the day we went, there was no climate control. We were wet, and the restaurant was hot – so it was quite like dining in Southeast Asia that day. But, authenticity is a good thing, so we didn’t mind.

We sipped Burmese sweet iced teas while perusing the menu which cooled us down a bit, and started with the pickled green tea leaf salad which was simply delicious. It was astringent from the the flavor of the tea leaves and just a bit sour from the pickling, but had peanuts, sesame oil, ground shrimp and fish sauce to round out the edges and bring it back down to earth. As prepared that day it was a great deal less fishy than salads I’ve had in Asia, but it was still quite good. It was the sort of dish you just want to keep picking at – this desire, of course, helped along by the glutamates in the fish sauce.

Our main courses were Tamarind Fish and Mango Pork. The Tamarind Fish was another winning dish with the lightly spicy and sour tamarind and onion-based brown sauce teasing the full flavor out of the fish – in this case salmon. The dish was much less hot and sour than I remember, and I found the choice of salmon a bit puzzling – a big, fat, hunk of meaty catfish would have been more authentic, but nevertheless it was good.

The Mango Pork was mild and delicious. The mango was more sweet than sour and lacked the bite that pickled mango often has, but the pork was slowly cooked to perfection and was juicy and buttery. The tamarind and lemon added to the rich brown sauce of the dish, but were not overly sour or otherwise obtrusive. A gentle alternative for those not liking too much spice or heat in their food.

We alas only sampled these few dishes, but were generally pleased with the results. In a metropolitan area simply glutted with Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Malay restaurants, the growing presence of Burmese and other Asian cuisines is welcome. Burma DC offers good, simple, homestyle food that we enjoyed (especially the tea-leaf salad). If I have a criticism, its to be found in what feel like muted flavors – less heat, less spice, less sour than the authentic Burmese food I remember. Still, I hope to return to sample a few more dishes. There are a few, such as pickled mustard leaf and sour bamboo shoot (each with choice of meat) that I’d like to try as well as a whole array of noodle dishes, a couple of kebabs and of course the great fish-soup, mohinga. So, yeah, I’ll be back.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank laurakelley
New Jersey
“I love this place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

If you love Asian food, you must try Burma. If i lived in DC, i'd come here all of the time. The food is delicious. The service and timing are lacking, and the atmosphere is as well, but the food makes up for it. Overall it's fun and exotic.

The ginger salad is amazing, with cabbage, carrots and peanuts. My colleagues loved the green tea salad, but I wasn't a huge fan. I also tried the green papaya salad but thought the ginger really stood out.

I'd you like pork, you must try the pork with mangoes. It is a little spicy with tender small chunks of pork stewed in a sauce that is absolutely addictive. The tamarind fish was also outstanding. Shrimp with curry and a noodle dish were good. Our entrees did not come out even close to the same time.

Prices are extremely reasonable.

• Visited July 2012