“The kind of place I felt safe ordering steak tartare!”
Review of Bistro Francais - CLOSED

Bistro Francais
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wisconsin Ave & 31 Street
Transit: Rosslyn or Foggy Bottom-GWU (Orange, Blue lines)
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I were in DC for our grandson's swimming meet and chose this restaurant for ourselves before we left. It is a physically lovely place, and the ambiance at dinner was very nice. I have to disagree with Daniel R, as our food was really very good. Steak tartare is among my all-time favorites but I am careful where I order it. Here, though, I felt comfortable having it and I have to say that it was superb. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his coq au vin. We'd go back again. Neither of us had dessert so I can't comment on the sweets. With regard to the questions below, the view is of M Street and the people-watching is great, so if that qualifies as scenic, I'd say yes to that one.

1  Thank kcoghlan

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Bistro Francais is an old reliable place you can come home to. The food is good but the service and ambiance are wonderful. We had the early bird special which is a very good deal. The wine we had, which was one of the cheapest in the wine list, was served in perfect temperature. We were talking about our friend's birthday among ourselves. Which our waiter must have overheard. At the end of the meal came the surprise dessert with candle and glasses of nice pink champagne. A real treat!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

So this place won't be winning any awards for the food, but I have to give it the rating of Very Good since our overall experience here was quite lovely. We arrived around midnight or a bit later looking for a late night dinner in Georgetown. They gave us a window seat so we were able to people watch, which we enjoyed. We ordered an over priced bottle of Piper-Heidsieck champagne to add to the already romantic atmosphere this late-night bistro offers. It turned out to be a wonderful little date for us!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Well,I have been to this place more than 5 times and each time I order onion soup (it is $10) for sure!I am trying onion soups at every french restaurant in the town,and for now noone beats them. Try the caesar salad-i like it without chicken. I don't like the desserts here that much though. The atmosphere is romantic during dinner time. Always some nice retro or french music. The waiters are usually nice. it is a little bit expensive if you compare with other good rertaurants in DC area. I have tried fish and chicken during my previous visits and i enjoyed my meal very much. This time i ordered lamb brochettes with potato cake. it was a dinner special of the day. i liked the lamb, it was soft and tender.i liked the quantity of spice in it. The potato cake was a bit salty. I paid 41.69 excluding the tip for onion soup plus lamb. I would come back here again for my favorite onion soup!if you are in town for christmas and there are nowhere to go, bistro francais is open on that date and has a fix menu for $55 excluding the wine. I saw the menu and it has options for meat and seafood lovers.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been dining here since they opened in 1975. Their Poulet Bistro is still the best roast chicken and french fries I have ever eaten. It's like a little slice of France.