“Center Cafe - Washington, D.C.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Center Cafe
Ranked #2,228 of 3,189 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Union Station
Description: The only 50-star restaurant in D.C.! With its sweeping views of Capitol Hill, there could hardly be a more perfect setting for this celebration of regional American cuisine than historic Union Station.
fredyt3
“Center Cafe - Washington, D.C.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Center Cafe is located in Washington, D.C. It is part of the Union Station complex and situated on the main floor and you can't miss it. It offers plenty of seating and surprisingly the food was very fresh and the service was good.

During my visit or time I visited the restaurant, it was self-seating. The waitress quickly took my order and overall I had a very good experience.

I was there for breakfast The prices were very reasonable and offered quality given the choices of other restaurants in Union Station.

T

• Visited January 2013

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Decent food...uneven service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited on Inauguration Day...a busy day at the Cafe. Our food was fine. We were so hungry we might have eaten the napkins. The prices for both food and beverages were fair.

The downsides were:

1. Slow initial service but things got better. (It's also unclear that you can just go seat yourself and not wait to be seated. We learned this the hard way when a couple blew past us and took the last open table for a while.)

2. Our appetizer came with the two entrees. Not a big deal and the hummus appetizer turned into desert and it was VERY good.

3. We had a shift change during our meal and we lost our initial waiter. He was replaced by a rude guy who would look right past you as you signaled for attention. He was particularly rude to a patron who was a little down on his luck who just wanted to buy a beer. The rude waiter (his name was Everett) would not serve the man a beer. Watching this unfold, I went and talked to the man and asked what was going on. He said Everett would not serve him. I said I will buy you a beer and called Everett over. Everett refused to let me buy the guy a beer. I called another waiter over and finally got the man a lager...which he gratefully drank and left to go his way.

A very sad incident to witness on a day when the President reminded us that all men are created equal and that this and other inalienable rights may be "self-evident" but they are not "self-executing". We all have to act and speak up when we see the rights of others being denied.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“I tipped waiter but sent food back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Burger was raw inside. The vegi burger style sandwich grossed me out. I really tried to like it being in Wonderful union station but this food dude says stay away. My waiter was so sad but I was pleased with his service even during a busy time of day

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tampafooddude
Union, New Jersey
“Very Good Restaurant in Union Station”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I visited this restaurant two days after Christmas with my oldest son and a friend. We had just finished the Old Town Trolley Tour and wanted something to eat before finishing our trip back home to New Jersey. There are plenty of choices in Union Station ranging from numerous fast-food establishments in the food court to fancy places with white table cloths. We picked the Center Cafe because it was in the center of the main lobby where we could watch the people hurrying to and from their trains. My son ordered a crabcake sandwich with fries and a coke. My friend a large bowl of clam chowder and a Chicken panini with fries while I went for the baked chicken penne entree and a coke. The food was good and there was plenty of it.

Service was adequate but could have been a little more attentive. The server was a bit too involved with her cell phone at times.

All in all, it was a good meal at a reasonable price . . . . Only $60.02 for the 3 of us . . . . . and it's a great spot for people-watching.

Try it. You'll like it!

• Visited December 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Union Station is Great to See but Stay Away from this Restaurant!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I took a group to this restaurant tonight and it was an awful experience. The service was disorganized and the foot was cold when it came out. The waiters could not keep the orders straight. The desserts were good but for the most part, the meals were below par.

• Visited December 2012