“A discovery”

Afghan Grill
Order Online
Ranked #430 of 3,848 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Afghan grill serves the finest Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food in the Washington DC area. We serve a variety of different Mediterranean favorites, including babaganush and lamb chops! Not to mention many regional dishes such as our critically acclaimed Kabobs, and falafel! We constantly strive to use the finest ingredients including many local farmers. We welcome your whole family to our family owned restaurant.We serve only the finest Halal meats Our atmosphere is casual with the feel of a real Afghani restaurant. If you are new to Middle Eastern food we welcome you to an authentic experience. For your convenience we also provide takeout service! If you’re in a rush to eat with no time to dine in, not a problem! You can call us or order online the delicious dishes that w to you desire and we will gladly prepare your meal fresh and ready for pickup!
Reviewed August 20, 2018

We like exploring the world through food. If you like Indian food, you should really try Afghan food. It has many similarities but is also different enough to send you on a little voyage of discovery. The Afghan grill itself is a nice little restaurant (overlook the poorly maintained lobby as you go in). Service is very friendly and our waiter (the owner?) explained everything for us. We liked it so much we went back two days later. Compared to most restaurants in this neighborhood, this is good food at a reasonable price.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Michel1961

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

This was a hidden gem
Small and cozy setting
Can serve large parties also
The bread and chutney was So good
and bread was served warm
The lamb kabobs were delicious
The salad was fresh and flavorful
Careful with your glass of wine
Overpriced!

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank doreenlynnr
Reviewed April 22, 2018

A small place, up about 6 steps, and very close to the Omni Shoreham. Having had excellent Afghani food in Chicago and Minnesota, I thought this was very average. The mantoo was a bit gummy, the kadu a bit watery, the lamb qabili a bit dry, the rice a bit hard. Not awful, but not a place I would return to. Friendly service and comfortable surroundings.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank follylover
Reviewed April 15, 2018

I adore Afghan food, and it is only when I am in DC or Cambridge that I get to indulge. My DH and I dined at Afghan Grill the last night of our trip to DC; it had been about 10 years since I had been there, but it is still wonderful.

The owner was our server, and after taking our orders brought out a complimentary salad of tomato, green pepper, cucumber and onions, dressed with lemon juice and finely minced cilantro and mint. This was the freshest salad one could ask for without eating in a garden.

DH had not eaten Afghan cuisine before (except what I try to reproduce at home) so we started with a sampler platter of appetizers. I cannot recall all the varied items in that platter, but every one of them was heavenly. We followed this with a beef kabob entree (DH) and a vegetable plate (I adore veggies). The only flaw was the rice was just a bit too al dente, but otherwise it was a feast.

DH had also never had baklava, so we ordered that for dessert. Served very warm, gooey and chewy and positively the best baklava I have ever had.

Throughout our meal we were looked after thoughtfully but not obtrusively by the owner. The atmosphere is relaxing, and the menu is fascinating - I cannot wait to try more of it.

Note that my tablet is not letting me rate food, service and value, but they all get 5 stars.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed April 7, 2018

I ate here with a fairly large group and the food was very good. The owner/ manager recommended a combination of dishes and they ranged from beef to lamb and so on. They were all good as was the service. The selection of beer was not so good however.

Date of visit: March 2018