“Worth It just to sample the Vodkas”
Review of Russia House

Russia House
Reserve with OpenTable
Russia House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #581 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: Florida
Transit: Dupont Metro
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Worth It just to sample the Vodkas”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Russia House is an amazing find in D.C. - a converted manor house done up in Russian motifs, staffed almost entirely with Russian and Ukrainian servers, serving up authentic Russian cuisine and more than 150 varieties of vodka. A great place for a romantic cocktail, conspiratorial noshing and swilling, or hosting a memorable dinner at the private "Tsar's Table" downstairs. Try the Imperia vodka straight up or in a properly made martini. If you're adventurous, let your hostess pick out a half dozen vodkas and serve them up as a sampler with pickles and peppers. The various caviar dishes are amazing, and you cannot go wrong with the duck or the stroganoff. Highly recommended for a delightful surprise and non-standard DC outing.

• Visited January 2014

DC
“A good place for guests”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife and I have been to Russia House several times and like it. I particuarly like it as a place to bring out-of-town guests who like European food. It is an attractive restaurant with excellent food (but not too exotic), quiet and intimate enough to have good conversations and a broad enough menu to please most anyone. The service has been impeccable with friendly and knowledgable Russian and Eastern European servers. I gather that the bar upstairs is quite good and it seems popular, but I haven't tried it.

Some of my Russian friends tell me that this is not the most authentic Russian food; it is too French in style. My reply is that Russia in the imperial days was trying quite hard to emulate France, so I think it still works. (Of course, I wasn't in Russia in the imperial days, so what do I know?)

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Back in DC on a cold and snowy night, I tried - for the first time - the Russia House along Connecticut Avenue near the Hilton. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had ignored this restaurant in this location for years. Our server, Natallia, was most helpful and appropriately attentive. The atmosphere - while not elegant - was inviting. Even though the vodka list was extensive, our gin martinis were perfect. The perogies were excellent. My friend had the duck and I had the stroganoff. We were both very pleased with our meals. Certainly, when I am in this neighborhood again for dinner, I plan to return to the Russia House.

• Visited December 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Little disappointed”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Nice location, close to our Hotel Washington Hilton. Had a nice table by fake fireplace. Service was good, friendly and prompt.I think the acoustics our bad and everyone's table conversation was heard by us loud and clear causing us to have to speak louder to each other which we don't like to do. Definitely not children friendly, it's a adult place. Food was o.k., a little pricey for good average food. I just thought that it would be a better dining experience.

Visited October 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“Come with an appetite!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This has to be the best restaurant of its kind south of the Russian Tea Room in Manhattan. Our waitress was, I believe, Serbian, and extremely helpful in explaining the many menu and beverage choices. All ingredients seemed very fresh; dishes were carefully prepared and nicely presented. Service was very attentive, and my wife's need to avoid certain ingredients was carefully observed. One member of our party was a native Russian who thoroughly enjoyed herself. The only caveat to offer is that some dishes are very rich, so it's easy to overdo on sauces and such.
The upstairs bar seems to be a popular neighborhood (Dupont Circle) place to come for cocktails, if that's what you're in the mood for. Highly recommend Russia House!

Visited October 2013