“Downtown, near Penn quarter Gem”
Review of Cafe Mozart & Bar

Cafe Mozart & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Mozart & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 3,326 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Diner, Delicatessen, German
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Nice hidden gem of a restaurant in the rear of a deli. Worthwhile authentic German/Austrian food with excellent service.

Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We found this little gem on Trip Advisor and walked the few blocks from the Grand Hyatt. The deli front made us think we'd made a mistake for dinner, but peeked inside and saw the restaurant sign. We made our way through the myriad of delicacies and pastries to find a comfortable bar and tables. Our waitress was welcoming and very thorough. Sorry I didn't get your name! We ordered sauerbraten and Rahm schnitzel with veal. The veal was fork tender with extra pounding from the chef. Sauces delicious. Good thick potato pancakes and my cuke salad was delish. Topped it off with strudel that was so tender and not too sweet. Excellent food, intimate atmosphere, good service. A great find - thanks again to Trip Advisor!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was in DC for a conference and saw good reviews for this restaurant, just a few blocks from my hotel. I pulled up the menu online and called, receiving very friendly phone service and a message that my food would be ready in 10 minutes. I walked over to find a surprisingly large market with bakery / coffee counter in front of the restaurant, where I heard accordion music. I was greeted warmly by two employees at the front register, who told me my order was ready; when I went to look at the desserts, they offered any assistance and said to take my time. I chose a white chocolate cake and took a German hazelnut chocolate bar as a gift for the road. I asked for silverware and napkins, and then remembered to ask for sour cream for my potato pancake. The gentleman said of course, then went in the back for a couple of minutes; I wondered why it took a little time, but I found out when I got back to my hotel. They kindly closed out my order, asking if I worked nearby, and I wished them a good evening.

I ordered the beef roulade, red cabbage, and potato pancake. All was well packaged and ready to go. Take out often doesn't taste that great, but this was really yummy - and I'm pretty picky about German food. The surprise? The sour cream container was half sour cream and half fresh, chunky applesauce - perfect for the pancake, which was nicely prepared! The white chocolate cake was really quite delicious as well, not too heavy but still moist.

All of this food, plus 2 sodas, was $31 - which I do not consider bad, though not a cheap takeout dinner either. I will happily go there (maybe to the restaurant next time) when I'm back in DC.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband is from Germany and we found this restaurant just a block from our hotel. It was a taste of home for him and he wanted to go back every day. The food was amazing and authentic. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. They have several german beers on tap. In the front of the restaurant they sell cakes, pastries and german groceries that you can't find anywhere else. A real gem in DC don't hesitate to visit.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Had lunch here on a weekday. Seated immediately. My husband enjoyed a sampler of a variety of sausages and I had the reuben sandwich. His enjoyed his meal more than I did mine. I probably should have gotten something more classically German. The Reuben did not have a lot of sauce or sauerkraut on it - so it made for kind of a flat boring sandwich - which is not what you expect from a Reuben.

The dessert made up for all faults with the sandwich. We had the apple strudel with ice cream - it was so yummy and made the lunch trip well worth it!