“A lovely dinner”
Review of Cafe Mozart & Bar

Cafe Mozart & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Mozart & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 3,216 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: German, European, Central European, Austrian, Delicatessen
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Montreal
“A lovely dinner”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Using TripAdvisor my great wife put this place down on her map as a place to eat if we could.
At the end of day 2 of walking and seeing the sites we found ourselves looking for a sit down enjoy a leisurely meal. Looking at the other places at hand we decided to walk the 5 blocks to Cafe Mozart. Good decision! Once we opened the front door it took a second to spot the entrance to the restaurant at the back of what is a great German Deli. Past the cheeses, imported jars and candy and more great food we arrived at the door to the restaurant proper. Greeted as we arrived and seated without a pause. Our service was the best we have had in a very long time.
I ask for a suggestion due to not having had much in the way of German food over the years.
To this day I can not pronounce or spell the meat dish I had. Rolled beef around bacon and other good things in a mustard sauce with two scoops of potato salad. A dark beer, also her suggestion with it was right on taste wise for the meal.
We split a chocolate-raspberry torte to finish off.

So, if you want to sit down and relax out of the heat or cold this is a great place to do it with a meal worth price.

• Visited July 2013

Portland, Oregon
“if this were the only place in the area, maybe”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

we were thoroughly disappointed by our lunch at Cafe Mozart. It was one of the few restaurants near the museum we were visiting on a recent Saturday, and it looked decent enough. but service was abysmally slow, and the food was average at best. i don't mind waiting for good food, but 30 minutes for a mediocre grilled chicken sandwich is too much - especially when other customers who entered after we did were served before us. to paraphrase the second most famous Austrian (after Mozart) "we won't be back".

• Visited July 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hidden lunch gem”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

By far one of my favorite places to get lunch in DC, Cafe Mozart offers AUTHENTIC German food at reasonable prices. It is very difficult to find currywurst in the US, but Cafe Mozart has it, and it is really good. Cafe Mozart looks a bit discerning at first, as it seems to be a small deli, but head all the way to the back for the full restaurant. Everything that I have ordered has been good (and this coming from someone of German heritage and a frequent traveler to Germany). Service is not bad for a small restaurant with very few servers, just be ready to order all at once. If you do so, then you will be able to get in and out in no time.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank TravelingPalina
Atlanta, Georgia
“The Best Meal I had in DC”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Overall, I was pretty disappointed by my culinary experience in Washington, DC. This was the only 4 or 5 star meal I ended up having, but it was a good one. I wholeheartedly recommend Cafe Mozart. Their home-style German food is excellent. The prices are good and the staff is authentic and friendly. The potato salad was magical. From what I can tell, this is the best (and tastiest) value in downtown DC.

• Visited June 2013
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Felt like we were in Germany!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

As other reviewer have pointed out, you first walk into a small store that sells authentic European deli items and groceries. However, there was a large sign indicating that the restaurant was in the back so we proceeded in that direction and were seated promptly. Once we crossed into the restaurant/bar area, we felt like we'd actually been transported to Germany. There was a friendly Austrian woman playing an accordian and singing, at times wandering around to various tables. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to hear that the entire time we ate, but it actually added to the unique ambiance. In general, my husband is a much bigger fan of German food than me, but I have to say this was some of the best food we ate the entire time we were in DC. Everything was absolutely delicious! We decided to order the "family style" for two which allowed us to chose several entrees, side dishes, and also included dessert. It seemed to be the best value for the money. In addition, each table gets a bread basket with an assortment of breads prior to the meal. We ended up with quite a lot of food, but we ended up eating every bit of it so I suggest you go when you are very hungry like we did. I don't recall the names of the dishes we got, but we enjoyed everything, and I don't think you could go wrong. With the exception of dessert--the German Choc. cake was MUCH better than the apple strudel which was bland and I felt a little "soggy." The waitress was as attentive as she could be and was really hustling from table to table, and I felt that they could have used a little more help as the place was packed by the time we left. But we weren't in any hurry so just enjoyed our "trip to Germany." If you like sweet wine, I ordered the German Reisling which is some of the best wine I've had! The place is casual and comfortable which I appreciated, but wasn't exactly cheap. Including the tip we dropped over $100 for the both of us, but we each had two drinks which really tends to add up. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to return!

Visited June 2013