“Authentic Austro-Bavarian Food, complete with live music”
Review of Cafe Mozart & Bar

Cafe Mozart & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Mozart & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 3,326 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Diner, Delicatessen, German
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Austrian food is some of the most difficult to find, and Cafe Mozart gets it right. If you've never had Austro-Bavarian food before and you're looking to get your feet wet, get the Huhner Schnitzel (Chicken Schnitzel). (It's like a giant chicken tender!) If you've been to the area and want something authentic, get the huhner schnitzel. Their sausages are right-on, as well they should be.

The service was solid, no complaints.

Cafe Mozart earns its 5-star rating from the food and the ambiance... several nights each week they have live music in the dining room, and the night we were there, it was an Austrian woman playing their version of the accordion and singing old folk songs and taking requests!

Reviewed May 28, 2011

As a native of Bavaria, I appreciate good food. I don't mind traveling from Severna Park (near Annapolis) as often as I can to enjoy a good German meal. I am NEVER disappointed, recognizing that even a cook can have a b ad day.

The service has always been very good. However, as in past years, it would be a special treat to have servers who speak and/or understand at least SOME German. Now that the restaurant has added live entertainment of German/Austrian music, that has greatly enhanced the "Gemütlickeit" in the place. Like in Germany, it is great fun to eat, drink and sing to the music, all at the same time, and nobody seems to mind. However, there is room for making the decorum a little more German.

For me it is always a treat to go there, no matter the distance to do so, it is ALWAYS worth the time and money I spend there. Additionally

Reviewed April 11, 2011

We loved it. We went to the seated restaurant section in the back and our hostess/server was apparently Austrian and delightful. Everything was good from the lean reuben sandwich our son ordered that was not over-stacked like most deli's with semi-fatty pastrami, but was instead a lean, authentic grilled pastrami, cheese and (excellent) saurcraut.... to the fresh potato goulash that was hearty and perfectly cooked. Yes, the German Chocolate cake for dessert was outstanding.

Reviewed October 5, 2010

I heard about Cafe Mozart from a tourist magazine in my hotel. I love German/Austrian food, so I thought I would look into it for lunch. The restaurant is also part of a mini market and German deli.

Looking at the restaurant menu for lunch, the average meal price was $20. That's a little pricey for lunch on a vacation. We decided to order from the deli. I had a smoked bratwurst on a roll with sauerkraut and mustard. My wife had the chicken schnitzel sandwich.

She tells me her sandwich was very good. The meat was breaded and the sandwich had lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. My smoked brat? It was ok. It tasted like it was heated in a microwave and not grilled or even pan seared. There was no snap when bitten into. It tasted good, but it did not have the full flavor I expected from a smoked brat. It tasted like a knackwurst.

It took about 10 minutes for our food to be delivered. That's not a long time per se, but a little long for a deli at lunch on a Saturday. We were the only customers in the deli.

Cafe Mozart has a good menu for the restaurant, and it would probably be a good choice for dinner. The restaurant was overpriced for lunch. The deli was ok. The German and Austrian products in the market are also rather overpriced. Unless you really feel the desire for German/Austrian, I would look elsewhere. There are other German restaurants in Washington, DC. (CS)

Reviewed May 31, 2010

The staff can be slow to serve you here, but the beer is always tasty and fresh from Germany, and the food is always good. This is a nice place to visit if you're feeling the need to be Bavarian for the evening.