“Classy”
Review of Tosca Restaurant

Tosca Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tosca Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cross street: between 11th and 12th
Washington, DC
“Classy”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We went for the pre-theater prix fixe and it was as good a deal as I'd always heard. Great selection of full portions and a good introduction to the restaurant. Service was nimble and prompt without being pushy to get us out on time.

• Visited September 2012

• Korean first
MetroWest Boston
“Nice atmosphere and good service”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband I were visiting my freshly graduated daughter in DC and she had made reservations for us there. She said she selected it because it was reasonably priced and had good reviews. For my budget it was expensive, but we don't eat out too often anymore, so I am not the best judge and DC is an expensive city. She had made a 5:30 reservation which was great because we had been site seeing on the mall all day and were tired and hungry. Although 3 of the 4 of us were not dressed as nicely as we should have been for a restaurant this elegant, we were welcomed and sat in the middle of the room. (we were not hidden away). The service was quite good with the dishes being explained well, prices given for the specials, and opinions provided when asked. We were not rushed to place an order and the water glasses were kept well filled. We all ended up with the pre theater prix fixe menu of $38 and my husband had an especially good glass of wine - Barbaresco for $17. I thought the best main was a grilled pork tenderloin that was delicious and the dessert of a warm chocolate cake with banana sorbet was fantastic. I wasn't as crazy about my appetizer which is one of the chef's specialties, but everyone else liked it. (carrot noodle something or other) I thought the atmosphere was lovely..modern but comfortable and I only wish we had all been more dressed up to match the other patrons. Enjoy!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Buttercup92
Bethesda, Maryland
“Beautiful restaurant with wonderful food”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Three of us had a wonderful evening at Tosca, always a favorite for us and quite popular on a Tuesday night. The redecorated restaurant is beautiful and serene. The menu offerings are interesting and the wine list is extensive (and expensive). Our server was ideal: solicitous, informative and offered a wonderful wine suggestion. The starter of octopus and calamari salad was flavorful. All of us had fish as main course, either the evening's special (grilled rockfish or tuna, for us) or scallops. Each was perfectly cooked and beautifully presented with spinach-laden mashed potatoes. We shared two delicious desserts: chocolate cake and a cold plum granita. All in all, a great celebration.

• Visited October 2012
“Good food, efficient service, bad attitude!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I was passing Tosca by coincidence after a days sightseeing and it looked like a nice place to eat. So I entered without a reservation(1745) and I was met by some sceptic eyes. Wheter this was because of my clothes(a nice polo, jeans and brown leather shoes aka "not a cheap 200$ suit") or the fact that I am less than 30 years I dont know, but they seem to prefer that you wear a some kind of cheap suit or shirt rather than other designer brands!?! Anyways, they placed me in a corner by the kitchen entrance next to a curtain, obviously to hide me away from the public view.(only two other tables occupied at that time(restaurant was not even half full when I left at 1900).
Now to the food, my starter was the Carpaccio with Buffalo Mozzarella. My impression was that the ham was lacking taste and the mozzarella was too "wet".
Main course was Veal cheeks. Very good quality meat and cooked just perfect. Very tasteful and highly recommedable.
Dessert was the chefs own interpretation of Tiramisu. If you are expecting Tiramisu you will probably be a little disapointed. But it was still very good, and definitely worth trying.
My food was served without any waiting time, which normally would be a good thing! But when your dessert is served less than a minute after you finish your main dish then it is maybe a little to early, well at least in my case it was.
During my stay the head waiter went around to certain tables(the one with all the wealthier looking customers) and asked about the food etc(making new friends!!) but not to me or other more regular looking customers. Generally he did not seem to care about me... Until he saw my credit card!!
So all in all my visit was a bit disapointing. Food was very good and the service was effective, but arrogant. I would come back for the food, but the the general attitude in the restaurant was to high class without actually beeing it.

2 Thank Rex K
Chicago Suburbs
“2nd time here, not as god as the first!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

First off, the waiter was VERY quiet and hard to understand. We had a group of 12, and most of us could not hear the specials. It turns out, the ffish of the day came with the skin on, and I think alot of our group was not thrilled about that or the lack of flavor. While it was not a bad meal, it was not worth the $100 a person that you end up paying.

• Visited October 2012