“Wonderful Small Plates Spanish Place in the heart of D.C.!”
Review of Jaleo

Jaleo
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 3,724 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: E St.
Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St. We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
Description: Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef Jose Andres. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.
Reviewed March 21, 2018

I decided to try several of Chef Jose Andres' restaurants on my recent trip to D.C. and his Spanish place Jaleo was my favorite. For the somewhat insane bargain price of $25 you get a four course small plates menu AND a glass of sangria. This in a bustling modern space with great service and excellent, beautifully presented food. Would return in a heartbeat!

1  Thank BirderNYC
Write a ReviewReviews (2,280)

Reviewed March 19, 2018

Continuing our restaurant tour of "Top Chef"-fy kind of restaurants..here is the lowdown on what we ordered..remember it's a tapas restaurant, so don't think I'm a pig:

1)salad of fennel, apple, and manchego - it sounds boring but it was my FAVORITE THING! So light, so refreshing, and just yummy yummy. How can I replicate this recipe at home?

2)scallops - served on a puree of sweet potato or pumpkin or butternut squash ( I don't know...but it was GOOD) with bits of orange. My second favorite. Nom nom nom.

3)sea urchin - okay, I never had it, and had to try. Thought it would be served in a shell (no such luck), but it was served in a spoon, amuse-bouche style. Way too fishy for my taste, and without the "buttery" feel. Yuck. However, these critical statements may just be reflective of my disappointment, because I thought it would be amazing.

4)eggplant on toasted bread - this was served cold, which was fine, but I bet it would have been yummier served warm.

5)white sangria - I'm not a sangria girl (too sweet, blecch)..but this..WOW. Kind of a cross between a sangria and a mojito. It was AMAZING.

6)shrimp - forget what it was called, but it was their "very very famous shrimp" or something like that. Comes with slices of roasted garlic in a tomato sauce. Delicious!

7) hanger steak - my husband's favorite.

Service was stellar. Surprisingly, the bill wasn't bad either..so a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed March 16, 2018

My wife and I haven’t been to Jaleo in quite a while, and I’d almost forgotten just how good it is. On a recent date night, we reacquainted ourselves with the restaurant.

We arrived on a Saturday night without reservations and opted to sit at a hightop in the bar area rather than wait for a table (the forecasted wait was 40 minutes). We got quick, friendly service, first with drinks, and then with a selection of small plates to share. Jaleo, as I recall, was one of celebrity chef José Andrés’s first forays into the DC area back in the mid-1990s, and it’s been a hit ever since.

We sampled the Iberico ham, which comes in a variety of preparations, croquettes, and the wonderful Gambas al ajillo (garlic shrimp). A real pleasure was a new (to me) addition to the menu, Oysters with Gin & Tonic. Yep, you read that right. No cocktail sauce or mignonette, just a scant bit of gin and tonic on plump Rappahannock oysters. Fresh and delicious.

There are many other tapas restaurants in the Metro DC area, some very good. But Jaleo sets the bar very high and never disappoints. We’ll be going back for more.

1  Thank John V
Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

Outstanding and timely service. Always on point but not pressuring. Food is excellent. Sausage, beef, seafood, and vegetarian dishes all excellent. White sangria is the best.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

I stopped here for lunch on my way to The National Portrait Gallery. The atmosphere was great. Wait staff friendly and accommodating. The grilled lamb sandwich with soup were delicious.