“Great for lunch/dinner, so-so brunch”
Review of Jaleo

Jaleo
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 3,229 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: E St.
Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St. We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
Description: Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef Jose Andres. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great for lunch/dinner, so-so brunch”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

After a recent visit, I'd rate 3 1/2 "dots" if I could (down from 4).

We love the place for lunch or dinner, with very tasty food, good cocktails, and great sangria.

However, we were not impressed by brunch a couple weeks ago. The dishes were much larger than suitable for the recommended 3-4 per person and we ended up with far too much food. We enjoyed the "Torrijas Con Plátano" and "Tortitas De Aceite De Olive," but really did not care for the "Arroz a la cubana" that was strongly recommended by the waiter. The coffee, a critical part of an enjoyable brunch, was harsh though improved by adding sugar (I normally take my coffee black.)

• Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
NY, New York
“Delicious Tapas in D.C.”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We came here last month, while staying in D.C. for the long weekend. my husband and I are big foodies and we love to try new places when traveling. We were dining with our 2 kids (9 and 5) and were worried that it wouldn't be child friendly. When I called to make reservations, the hostess assured me that it wouldn't be a problem dining with kids. She advised me that while they have no separate kid's menu, a lot of their items were pleasing to kids.

We had reservations for 5:30pm on a Saturday night. We arrived and there were a few people waiting already. The place is very lively and pretty noisy for early in the evening. The decor is strange and a little avant-garde but I hear this is typical of Jose Andres restaurants. Our table was ready when we arrived and to our surprise, it was made out of a foosball table. This was perfect since it kept our kids (and my husband) entertained during dinner.

For dinner, my husband and I decided to do The Jaleo Experience tasting menu, which is $70 per person for multiple courses. I don't remember how many courses we had, but it was way too much food even for big eaters like us. The only thing we wish is that we had more dishes that had Jose Andres' signature molecular gastronomy. I recommend doing the tasting menu if you want to try a little bit of everything. I also appreciated that the restaurant catered to my husband's nut allergy. The kids loved the Ibérico de belotta mini hamburguesas (aka sliders).

Overall, we spent about $300 with tax and tip between the four of us. Pretty steep for one night out, but we also ate a lot and had a bottle of wine. I definitely would come back if I'm in D.C.

• Visited January 2014
Montreal, Canada
“tapas anyone?”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

For decades consistently serving high quality tapas, Jaleo is a DC crowd fav; Spanish fusion food. sardines are my favorite.

• Visited September 2013
Washington
“great lunch deal”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

the soup and sandsich at lunch for $13 is a great deal. There is no better grilled cheese than Jaleo's four cheese manchego with truffles. To die for

• Visited February 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loved it!”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Loved the Tapas, food and service! I liked the atmosphere. Totally over these new over-priced cocktail menus however.

• Visited October 2013