“Great brunch”
Review of Jaleo

Jaleo
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: E St.
Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St. We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
Description: Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef Jose Andres. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great brunch”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Found this gem just by walking by and seeing all of the outdoor seating. Looked at the menu and saw dozens of yummy things so we decided to eat here on a beautiful summer day. The Mrs had what was essentially French toast with ice cream on top and a side of fresh fruit compote. Delicious. The toast was perfectly fried and delightful. I had what essentially was a bagel and lox but with a fried egg and Spanish style bread. Lots of capers made this an excellent variation on one of my favorite meals. $7 fresh OJ mimosas were also good. Service was a bit slow but the place looked packed on the inside. Will definitely be back for a happy hour and to try the awesome cheese selections.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Annapolis, Maryland
“Amazing selection of small plates”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We could go back to Jaleo every day and never run out of amazing things to try. All the food was delicious, and the fact that it was open all day meant you didn't have to try and pry yourself into this hotspot during the busiest hours. If you like small plates and Spanish food, don't miss it.

Visited June 2013
Corona, CA
“Very Good Food”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I don't eat topas often, but I thought that the food was very good (though just a tad bit salty for me). I went with a party of 7, so we had a large variety of the menu items - all were delicious.
The service was excellent as well.

Arlington, Virginia
“Stellar and less so: worth a return visit”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My friend and I stopped in for a quick lunch. It had been some time since my last visit, and the menu had changed, probably for the better. We ordered Coliflor Salteada Con Aceitunas Y Dátiles (Sauteed cauliflower with olives and dates); Espinacas A La Catalana (Catalan dish of spinach with pine nuts, raisins and apples); Ensalada De Coles De Bruselas Con Albaricoques, Manzanas Y Jamón Serrano (warm brussels sprouts salad with apricots, apples and Serrano ham) and Ibérico De Bellota Mini Hamburguesas (a mini-hamburger made from the black-footed acorn-fed Iberico pigs of Spain).

The mini hamburger, a slider, was mouth-wateringly juicy and delicious. I will definitely order it again on my next visit. The Brussels sprouts salad was somewhat bland and oily; the cauliflower dish was a good combination of sweet and salty, but seemed overly oily. The spinach never came. After several requests, we finally told the waiter if it was not ready we would be leaving. He again went to check on it, and returned to say that it would be made immediately if we wanted to wait. We declined, and it was never clear what the problem was---perhaps another waiter took it for someone else.

My husband and I recently spent two weeks in southern Spain, so I was delighted to see one of our favorite foods from that trip on the menu: eggplant fries with honey. We will try it on our next visit.

I was disappointed that we did not get everything we ordered, but found some of the food stellar enough to want to return soon, and hopeful that the dishes with an excess of oil will be better on a return visit.

New York City, New York
“Good tapas in Washington DC”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Jaleo used to be one of the best places to eat out in Washington D,C., with great tapas, great service and great buzz. I have been eating there since it opened. Went back after a couple of years. Tapas is still good, though some of the dishes were inconsistently executed. Was sorry to note that service standards have fallen significantly. Hope that things correct themselves, for this is a great restaurant. Try the garlic shrimp and squid in black ink and boiled octopus - standout tapas dishes.