“Not a deli, but a carry out”
Review of Byblos Deli

Byblos Deli
Ranked #687 of 3,215 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Bristol, Tennessee
“Not a deli, but a carry out”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Not a deli, more like a carry out. I would consider Byblos a tad on the dive side, however its not a bad thing. Good mediterranaen menu with traditional american carry out, burgers, etc.. Small seating area. Had the gyro, lamb was season welled and the tzatiki was flavorful. The gyro could have use a touch of feta and red onion, but overall it was good. Staff took care of us with a public safety discount. (Had no bearing on the review, BTW) Thanks to Byblos for taking care of the local public servants, it is greatly appreciated.

• Visited August 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious, Fresh Greek Food in DC (always try the soup!)”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Fair Warning: this review may be biased. I have been a fan of Byblos for about 4 years. It has a special significance to my husband and I, as we have been going there since we started dating. Before going to see our first movie together (at the Uptown Theater), we went to Byblos. After a health scare (and two weeks of hospital food), all I wanted when I got home was Byblos hummus. And, during our "stay-at-home honeymoon" we made a point of having one of our celebration lunches at Byblos. So, yes, I am kind o partial to the place.

That being said, the food really is excellent. Mark, the owner/chef, has a real knack for making simple, fresh and really delicious food. The hummus is very smooth (almost creamy) and usually served with olive oil and red pepper relish. No matter what I plan to get when I walk in, I always come back to the hummus and a greek salad. My husband loves the chicken souvlaki. Lately though, he doesn't bother to look at the menu, he just gets the special, figuring "whatever it is, it'll taste good". We also make a point of getting the soup every time. When I asked Mark where he gets his soup recipes, he told me that he doesn't use one. He just takes whatever looks good to him at the time and puts it in the pot. Somehow it always ends up delicious. Another great thing about all of the food is that it doesn't have that greasy, over salted taste that similar places in DC seem to have. Everything looks and tastes fresh. The prices are very reasonable as well, especially considering that Cleveland Park isn't known for being cheap.

Byblos feels a bit like a lunch place, you order at the counter and get the food at your table. This is a bit of a drawback, in my opinion, but Mark and all of his staff are friendly and fast, and do their best to make customers comfortable. The small dining area has about ten tables, all with nice views of the sidewalk from the large front windows. Great for people-watching. During the spring and summer, the outdoor seating is lovely, and you get a nice breeze coming through. Overall, the food is great, the staff is friendly, and it won't break the bank.

• Visited December 2011