“Cabrito norteño & ceviche”

El Chalan Restaurant
Ranked #368 of 3,341 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Latin, Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Description: El Chalan Restaurant was founded in 1975 by Pedro and Elsa Espinoza. The first Peruvian restaurant in the Metropolitan DC area. We are family owned business and we have kept the same menu and quality for the last 42 years. El Chalan to this day, is still a world renowned restaurant. Join us to expierence typical Peruvian cuisine.
Reviewed September 21, 2013

So far this is my fav Peruvian restaurant in DC area. The food is simple but delicious and the service is very attentive.
I had the ceviche, it was very good and fresh. And I also tasted the cabrito norteño, it's really tasty. It's one of my fav dishes but it's heavy.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I like this place very much. Fresh, hot, tasty paella, but this place desperately needs some sound absorbing features. If course, the louder it gets the louder some idiots get and it is an annoying cycle.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Very nice restaurant, small but attractive, and crowded to the gills with people who mostly seemed to be regulars and all seemed to enjoy themselves very much.

The food was very good. My one big complaint is that for a shrimp dish which was around $13.00 for lunch had only 6 or 7 very, very small shrimp in it. aND i DO MEN SMALL so I'd say there wasn't a whole lot of value although it came with tons and tons of seasoned rice if you want to count that as having value to the overall price.. Having said all that I did like the place and would go back again

1  Thank mickey75
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went here when we couldn't get into Founding Farmers - and it turned out to be a happy accident. Having had an expensive, small and awful meal at the Blue Duck Tavern it was nice to find the opposite end of the spectrum. Good hearty food, plenty of it and a bill that didn't leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

Give them a try.

1  Thank twingytwangy
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had never tried Peruvian food before, but I am so glad we ate here. The food was delicious. I enjoyed the Lomo Saltado and my red wine Sangria! We were fortunate to be there on a night with live music and it provided great atmosphere. The waiter provided quick service and was quick to refill water glasses. Just note that the restaurant itself is rather cramped.

1  Thank Leigh S