“Hearty, healthy and good value for money”

El Chalan Restaurant
Ranked #238 of 3,666 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Latin, Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Description: El Chalan Restaurant was founded in 1975 by Pedro and Elsa Espinoza. The first Peruvian restaurant in the Metropolitan DC area. We are family owned business and we have kept the same menu and quality for the last 42 years. El Chalan to this day, is still a world renowned restaurant. Join us to expierence typical Peruvian cuisine.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went here when we couldn't get into Founding Farmers - and it turned out to be a happy accident. Having had an expensive, small and awful meal at the Blue Duck Tavern it was nice to find the opposite end of the spectrum. Good hearty food, plenty of it and a bill that didn't leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

Give them a try.

1  Thank twingytwangy

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had never tried Peruvian food before, but I am so glad we ate here. The food was delicious. I enjoyed the Lomo Saltado and my red wine Sangria! We were fortunate to be there on a night with live music and it provided great atmosphere. The waiter provided quick service and was quick to refill water glasses. Just note that the restaurant itself is rather cramped.

1  Thank Leigh S
Reviewed July 28, 2013

At Chalan you can get all the well known Peruvian dishes. We tried the Ceviche, which was not so good. It was lacking chili and lime, we also tried very good anticuchos (grilled hearts) and an okay Aji de Gallina.The restaurant is cosy and the waiters are quite friendly. The biggest surprise we got was when we received the bill, there was a service fee of 18,5% added to the amount. We do not know if that was because we are tourists or if that is standard, but it was not written any places at the menu card or elsewhere.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you haven't heard of El Chalan, you will probably pass by it and never even think of giving it a try. From the street, it looks like "a hole in the wall" . But don't miss it: they serve some of the tastiest Peruvian food in the Washington area. Service is good, prices are very reasonable. It is rather crowded (tables are too close to each other to accommodate the numerous aficionados) so noise level is a bit high. But that hasn't stopped me or my friends from returning there over and over again. I don't eat seafood, so my personal favorite is "lomo saltado". But usually everybody is happy with their food, no matter what they order.

1  Thank Susana E
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I admit I would not have picked El Chalan on my own since I'm not very adventurous. My cousin made the recommendation and I am so glad I stepped outside of my box! I loved the Pesco Sour since it was like a margarita! I tried the ceviche mixto and liked it. Most of our table (including the regulars) ordered the Lomo Saltado Especial-and it was wonderful!! Would definitely make another visit & order everything the same!

1  Thank 2Golden