“A Peruvian Gem”

Ranked #240 of 3,485 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Latin, Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Description: El Chalan Restaurant was founded in 1975 by Pedro and Elsa Espinoza. The first Peruvian restaurant in the Metropolitan DC area. We are family owned business and we have kept the same menu and quality for the last 42 years. El Chalan to this day, is still a world renowned restaurant. Join us to expierence typical Peruvian cuisine.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Really good and flavorful comforting food. We recommend the ceviche appetizer, goat stew (cabrito norteno) and the steak tips with potatoes and rice (lomo saltado). The talapia with seafood sauce was also delicious. We also order the grilled beef heart and it was tender and delicious. We did noticed the menu had a seafood paella dish which I thought is more of a Spanish and Portuguese origin.... All in all, restaurant is charming and atmosphere is very relaxing. Portions were good and is comparable to price. Tip is automatically included in the bill for party of four or more. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I planned on seeking out El Chalan on our first night in DC. We arrived very early in the morning and spent our entire day walking. I was really tired and wanted to retire early so we went here to try to grab a bte. I was so disappointed to find out they weren't open yet at 4pm. The next night we tried again a little later into the evening and it was well worth it. It's a hole in the wall on I street across from a Baja Fresh. It felt like we were walking into someone's home and them having prepared us a wonderful meal. The place was pretty busy. We received outstanding service and our food came out fairly quickly. I had gotten the goat stew which is highly recommended. They also have a full bar. The prices are very reasonable. I can't wait to go back to DC and visit this place again.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Very good food, and a nice change from the usual fare around Pennsylvania Avenue. Be careful with tipping, last time I went service was included on the bill. I have never been to Peru, so can't vouch for the authenticity, but the food is great.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've eaten at El Chalan a great number of times over the past 5 years, and have always enjoyed the food. The restaurant itself is "cozy", but a good place to go for lunch or dinner with friends or colleagues. The wait staff is attentive and always pleasant.

My favorite dish is the pepper filet.. I'm not sure this is on the menu, as I always just ask for it. They sometimes run out, since it's so popular.. and it's not green peppers.. it's a black pepper sauce that is just fabulous.. the filet is always dreamily tender. I also enjoy the spicy yellow sauce that comes with the bread.. I assume the bread is made there, as it's not like anything you can get in the store. It's dense and has a wonderful flavor all on its own, but paired with the sauce (which is quite spicy), it can't be beat!

I used to get the steak with the egg on top, but switched to the filet when I learned it existed. Portions for the steaks are generous and pretty reasonably priced for the portion and location within the city.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

The flavors in the beef tips and goat stew were incredible even though the meat had to be cut into very small pieces to make it more tender. I've never seen such big pieces of goat. The bread was a sweet peruvian style served with butter and a spicy mustard. The coffee was delicious, nice and strong without being overpowering. We were pleasantly full so we got cookies to take home. The cookies were called "Alfajores with Dulce de Leche" and were absolutely delicious. They were made from two thin crispy cookies filled with dulce de leche, a rich milk based filling. We were the first to arrive when the restaurant first opened and the place filled very quickly. The wait staff was very attentive.