“A Little Dated in the Room, but Still Worthy in the Food.”
Review of Corduroy

Corduroy
Reserve with OpenTable
Corduroy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 3,216 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Mount Vernon Square
Cross street: Ninth Street between L and M Streets
Transit: Mt. Vernon Square/Convention Center
Toronto
“A Little Dated in the Room, but Still Worthy in the Food.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Washington DC wasn't on my hit list of for places to find fine dining, so I did quite bit of research to find a place that was more interested about the food than the parade of DC power brokers.

The restaurant is a little off the beaten path, and in an area that is undergoing significant urban renewal, but it still has a little bit of the sense of being an oasis. The environment inside is nice -- a little dated, but still quite contemporary and, more importantly, comfortable and welcoming. The wait staff is frankly, unusual. A small feeling that they're misfits from other fine dining restaurants, but all in all, friendly, and didn't hesitate to explain the menu.

The food is, frankly, remarkably well executed and an interesting broad menu, and the off menu was really interesting -- so much so that I had both items that weren't on the printed menu, being a lobster carpaccio with roe, and a crispy roasted chicken. I'd normally never eat chicken in a restaurant, nor have I ever had raw lobster (which for me is unusual, being a marauding omnivore), but the chicken was fabulous and the lobster sublime.

And, in the end, the bill was very reasonable for the level of service and the quality of food. I don't give five stars very often (and didn't when I started this review), but this place deserves to get pulled up a bit.

Go. It's worth the trip.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Not as good as last visits”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Over all had a nice dining experience. Atmoshere is excellent and you can hear yourself talk. Wait staff was extremely helpful and attentive. Wine list is ok. I have been to Corduroy several times and it is one of my favorite dining experiences in DC but this time the food was average, not bad just not as good as last visits. All three appetizers and entrees were average. Salmon was pretty plain , soft shell crabs were undercooked and the pork loin was a little dry. Was a special meal and was disappointed. With all the great places in DC I am not sure I would go back.

Wisconsin
“Simply wonderful”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Five stars are given away these days like (non-bottled) water. So don't look down on my four star review of Corduroy. I really liked the place. It's food is simply elegant. Meaning it doesn't try to be too too much. The snapper bisque was an excellent variant on the classic seafood bisque. The chicken special was so very special. Desserts were fantastic. The wine list is extensive but needs a tour guide (which wasn't available in the bar -- more in a moment on that). The service was well timed and appropriate. If I had a quibble it would be with the second floor bar were I waited for my guest (he was very late) but I was eventually made to feel out of place by the folks who were dining at the bar (which was every seat but mine). Someone just drinking at a bar? How uncouth. The bartender did nothing to make me feel any better so I retreated to the first floor dining room where I "belonged". Again, though, just a quibble. A delightful restaurant you should definitely put on your list when in DC. But unless you're dining in the bar, don't stop there for very long. Ah, just a bit of service away from that other star!

Parker, Colorado, United States
“Fantastic Chef Surprise...”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Clearly one of te best restaurants in the DC area.Excellent multi-course meal and the special coarse ground grits were spectacular. Quite a treat but the wine list could be a little better especially on the pricing.

Visited June 2013
“Just slightly over rated...”
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We made this reservation a month in advance because friends told us of their wonderful dining experience....after looking over the menu neither my husband or myself could find an appetizer that sounded appealing...we ordered two main courses which were just missing...my husband had the soft shell crabs...they were over breaded and fried too crisp.....I had the pork loin with kale...the kale had large fatty pieces of bacon and over salted...the pork loin was on the dry side....desserts redeemed slightly...but the icecream portion was teeny tiny...over all we were disappointed ...

Visited June 2013