“Classic, historic, but...”

The Palm Washington DC
Reserve with OpenTable
The Palm Washington DC is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 3,368 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Connecticut Ave/ K Street
Cross street: N & M Street
Transit: Metro stop on the Red Line at Dupont Circle
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Palm is famous. It's been around forever and is a staple of the Washington scene. Expensive, yes, but not overly formal or fancy. The staff really know what they're doing, with a few exceptions. Particularly well know for its steaks and its lobster (3 to 5 lbs.). Beautiful presentation. So why the "average" rating? Well, we (9 of us) were there on an evening following high school graduation. Lots of families celebrating. Very high noise level. At my end of the table, three of us had ordered the small (9 oz.) filet, and all had requested "medium". When they were delivered, one was medium-well, one was medium, and one was medium-rare. That should not have happened at The Palm. The other downside was that our waiter never did come by with a wine list, and wine was never ordered. A couple of folks at the table asked for a beer, but the offer of wine never materialized.
Well, maybe they were over-stressed and over-busy. Would I go back with another couple and try it again? Absolutely. The potential is there. We probably just hit it at a bad time.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

If you’re looking for a fancy meal out in town while in DC I would highly recommend you make it the Palm Restaurant. The food was amazing, worth every penny, great value but it’s certainly on the high end of pricing. Ranging from the Chicken to any of the steaks the food was cooked to perfection. We spent about 2 hours having a great meal and we didn’t even blink. Long wine and drink list and great service. You don’t have to dress to the 9’s but if you want to look nice for the night and eat out, the Palm is a great place to do it.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

From the moment we arrived we knew this was going to be a great evening. We were wrapping up a long day at the end of our conference, and were ready to unwind. We were greeted by the friendly and efficient Maitre d who led us to the bar for a spectacular cocktail prior to dinner. We were then shown to our table and greeted by our exuberant waiter who was fun from beginning to end. The food was delicious, the drinks were great yet not too strong. The room was filled with fun decor of caricatures on the walls of the many, many locals that have enjoyed the establishment. The tables were also full of people having a great time, and the air was punctured by many boisterous rounds of Happy Birthday by the wonderful staff. I would come here again and again. I am not one to love a chain restaurant on vacation, but this is one worth breaking the rule for. Kudos to The Palm!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We do enjoy the Palm. The steaks are always good and prepared perfectly. My husband and I usually share a large filet, which they are very kind to accommodate. The individual side portions are big enough for us to share also (I am a light eater).

My only recommendation is for their plates to be brought out much hotter. By the time we were finishing our meal my plate was cold. So that means that the mashed potato I am putting on the plate is also cold. The details truly are important especially when paying high dollars.
Ruth Chris has this detail down pat so Palm should follow the same procedures.

The wine list is extensive and meets everyone's needs. We had a lovely red Zin at a reasonable price. Overall, a lovely evening!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

This restaurant has been around for a long time because of its traditional decor, good food and friendly staff. I went here with business associates recently and we all had an excellent meal. I had soft shelled crabs that were very good. I also had a lettuce wedge salad with roquefort dressing and fried onions on top. One of the best salads that I have ever had. My colleagues had steak that was to there satisfaction.