“Lives up to the reputation!”

Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: 24th and 25th
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Description: Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.
Reviewed July 22, 2016

I dined mid week at Marcels with a group of 5. I never saw a menu as the host had pre-arranged.
I was not looking forward to it as I expected an ultra fussy, over-hyped, tiny portion pretentious dinner. I could not have been more wrong - it was excellent.
The dishes were inventive but not ridiculous - not unconstrained and reconstructed foams - just nice hearty delicious combinations that were expertly prepared and served hot. I find that in restaurants where there is an emphasis on presentation it is rare to actually have dishes served at proper temperature - not here - all was on point - just perfect. Of course, the wine selection is appropriate and no one will be without something they are looking forward to drinking.
Excellent.
Certainly among if not the best in DC.

Reviewed July 16, 2016

If you want an elegant dinner in DC with the finest gourmet-level food, I don't think there is a better place in DC.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed July 14, 2016

We enjoyed another wonderful dinner at Marcel's last night. The amuse bouche was a wonderfully flavored cigar shaped duck wonton. We both enjoyed the tempura styled soft shell crab, also perfect. My wife had a light but tasty tomato salad. I had an unusual but wonderful cheese filled agnolotti with Bolognese sauce. Stuffed by then we still couldn't resist the mahi mahi and buffalo fork tender osso buco. The perfect headwaiter Jonathan was back in House. He has had heart surgery and is not working as many hours but there isn't a better head waiter in Washington. Everyone loves him and everyone should love Marcel's. There are few dining experiences any better.

Reviewed July 12, 2016

My wife and I went here for dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary and were BLOWN AWAY! Every dish was absolutely amazing - very unique and interesting. The wine pairings were very well done. And our service staff were very enjoyable. It is rare that my wife and I are surprised by a restaurant, but in this case we were. Has certainly made our Top 5 restaurants of all time from our travels.

Reviewed July 10, 2016

We went here for our fifth year anniversary dinner and we enjoyed it thoroughly. They first offered us a drink, which was served very quickly. I liked that they left us alone to enjoy the drink and offered the menu about halfway through our drink. They thoroughly explained the options on the menu and made some excellent recommendations. This is not a place to go when you are in a rush - it is meant to be enjoyed at a slower pace. The portions were good, assuming that you are going to have several courses, though for the meat course, there was definitely more on some plates than others. We had heard about a dress code, though it didn't seem to be enforced. It was expensive, but we expected it. We will be back for sure!