“Magnificent”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: 24th and 25th
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Description: Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.
Reviewed July 14, 2016

We enjoyed another wonderful dinner at Marcel's last night. The amuse bouche was a wonderfully flavored cigar shaped duck wonton. We both enjoyed the tempura styled soft shell crab, also perfect. My wife had a light but tasty tomato salad. I had an unusual but wonderful cheese filled agnolotti with Bolognese sauce. Stuffed by then we still couldn't resist the mahi mahi and buffalo fork tender osso buco. The perfect headwaiter Jonathan was back in House. He has had heart surgery and is not working as many hours but there isn't a better head waiter in Washington. Everyone loves him and everyone should love Marcel's. There are few dining experiences any better.

Reviewed July 12, 2016

My wife and I went here for dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary and were BLOWN AWAY! Every dish was absolutely amazing - very unique and interesting. The wine pairings were very well done. And our service staff were very enjoyable. It is rare that my wife and I are surprised by a restaurant, but in this case we were. Has certainly made our Top 5 restaurants of all time from our travels.

Reviewed July 10, 2016

We went here for our fifth year anniversary dinner and we enjoyed it thoroughly. They first offered us a drink, which was served very quickly. I liked that they left us alone to enjoy the drink and offered the menu about halfway through our drink. They thoroughly explained the options on the menu and made some excellent recommendations. This is not a place to go when you are in a rush - it is meant to be enjoyed at a slower pace. The portions were good, assuming that you are going to have several courses, though for the meat course, there was definitely more on some plates than others. We had heard about a dress code, though it didn't seem to be enforced. It was expensive, but we expected it. We will be back for sure!

Reviewed June 28, 2016

We are not typically Sunday brunch people - hate buffets. But Marcel's has a lovely, quiet, "off the menu" brunch with both breakfast and light lunch options. Surprisingly, the restaurant was nearly empty - maybe it is because it is summer. Needless to say, the service was quite good - attentive without being unctuous. I had the lightest, fluffiest pancakes with fresh fruit compote; my partner went with heavier fare -hanger steak, done to perfection. Servings are on the larger side, but not overly so. We were tempted by dessert, but restraint overrode it, but I was close to ordering the strawberry sorbet with meringue kisses.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank fussylady001
Reviewed June 27, 2016

During our 3 year stay in DC we have eaten out a lot and tried many many places.
This is my 3rd favourite place to eat out in DC.
If your in the area I highly recommend a visit, you won't be disappointed.

BOOK - If you want a table you really need to book, and book well in advance. I had to reserve a table for Hubbys June birthday 2 months in advance !! ( it did fall on a saturday)

Parking - There is metered street parking in the area but its always very busy, we find it easier to take an Uber. Plus don't forget DC has a no tolerance policy on drink driving.

Venue - the restaurant itself, is large , airy and smart.

Menu - I love the way the menu works here, it basically offers you up to 6 courses. There are 3 choices for each course, but you can mix it about. So if you like two on course 2, but none of course 3, just have 2 from course 2. !!

Wine - there is a good selection , plus a full bar.

Service - service is good, staff are polite , attentive without being in your face and very helpful.

The Food Itself - is fantastic, beautiful to look at and gorgeous to eat.

If its a special occasion be sure to tell them when you book, a cute Happy Birthday plate with candle and a few treats appeared at the end, along with a signed copy of the menu from the Chef. A nice touch.

Price - it is expensive to eat here, we only come for birthdays or anniversary . But is is well worth it

Date of visit: June 2016