“Quiet sunday brunch”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: 24th and 25th
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Description: Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.
Reviewed June 28, 2016

We are not typically Sunday brunch people - hate buffets. But Marcel's has a lovely, quiet, "off the menu" brunch with both breakfast and light lunch options. Surprisingly, the restaurant was nearly empty - maybe it is because it is summer. Needless to say, the service was quite good - attentive without being unctuous. I had the lightest, fluffiest pancakes with fresh fruit compote; my partner went with heavier fare -hanger steak, done to perfection. Servings are on the larger side, but not overly so. We were tempted by dessert, but restraint overrode it, but I was close to ordering the strawberry sorbet with meringue kisses.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank fussylady001

Reviewed June 27, 2016

During our 3 year stay in DC we have eaten out a lot and tried many many places.
This is my 3rd favourite place to eat out in DC.
If your in the area I highly recommend a visit, you won't be disappointed.

BOOK - If you want a table you really need to book, and book well in advance. I had to reserve a table for Hubbys June birthday 2 months in advance !! ( it did fall on a saturday)

Parking - There is metered street parking in the area but its always very busy, we find it easier to take an Uber. Plus don't forget DC has a no tolerance policy on drink driving.

Venue - the restaurant itself, is large , airy and smart.

Menu - I love the way the menu works here, it basically offers you up to 6 courses. There are 3 choices for each course, but you can mix it about. So if you like two on course 2, but none of course 3, just have 2 from course 2. !!

Wine - there is a good selection , plus a full bar.

Service - service is good, staff are polite , attentive without being in your face and very helpful.

The Food Itself - is fantastic, beautiful to look at and gorgeous to eat.

If its a special occasion be sure to tell them when you book, a cute Happy Birthday plate with candle and a few treats appeared at the end, along with a signed copy of the menu from the Chef. A nice touch.

Price - it is expensive to eat here, we only come for birthdays or anniversary . But is is well worth it

Date of visit: June 2016
2  Thank GreyhoundJane
Reviewed June 22, 2016 via mobile

I try most of the hottest or most iconic fine dining restaurants in DC each year. Marcels has been a regular favorite for more than 7 years and we keep coming back because of the consistently excellent food and service here.

Jonathan, who keeps the severs running, and the maitre d' are both exceptional and Washington institutions in their own right. They have both taken care of some of Washington's most powerful and persnickety. We've seen them do it with grace and style. Service here is old school. No clearing plates while others at the table are still eating or other fine dining faux pas that have been finding their way into modern upscale restaurants! Instead, each course is perfectly coordinated, even on a busy night.

The exception: we avoid coming here on days like Valentine's Day, opting instead for the Sunday afterwards when it is more of the regulars who help create a laid back atmosphere. On Sunday nights, the restaurant has a fantastic, laid-back but still attentive vibe that we enjoy.

Must try the olive bread, boudin blanc, any salad they are offering, a fish course, and their out-of-this-world coffee that I wish they sold because it is what I'd love to drink everyday. Their wine list is as expected: interesting, delicious, varied, with a strong French emphasis.

The food is perfectly prepared, with playful flavors that often hint at where the executive chef, Robert, has been traveling lately and been inspired. However, the food is at its core Belgian in spirit with classic French techniques and as-expected local sourcing. Their pastry chef is truly superb. Soufle is always on the menu, with creative flavor combinations and perfectly airy texture that elevate this beyond mere cake-and-ice cream every time. I usually love finishing a meal with a cheese course, but here I opt for dessert nearly every visit.

Marcels remains my benchmark for fine dining that is rarely met elsewhere. We try all the new fine dining and hot restaurants, but most take themselves too seriously. Marcels staff and chefs are incredibly talented and achieve accolades ranging from top fine dining restaurant in DC to frequent mentions in DC-based movies and TV shows. Yet, despite being a Washington institution, the people who make Marcels fantastic are less staff and more family, each of whom cares deeply about their craft. Even on stressful nights with entitled customers (we've overheard some real do-you-know-who-I-am snobbery from some diners around us on various visits), the Marcels family provide a fine dining experience marked by class, grace, and an impeccable attention to detail. It remains my favorite fine dining restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank All7explored
Reviewed June 5, 2016

Marcel's has the most flexible menu I have ever encountered. It was such a treat having the freedom to order any number of dishes from 4 to 8, in any order we wanted it to be served, and we can repeat a dish as many times as we want. What an ingenious concept. My family can't wait to come back and try the other dishes. One of the best meals we've had in D.C.
Our server was the best. Our dining experience was made so much better because of him.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed May 30, 2016 via mobile

Expensive, beautiful food. It is quiet and gracious, with waiters who put your napkin in your lap. You can order a la carte or from the tasting menu with 4, 5, 6, or 7 items of your choice; the menu varies. Everything is gorgeous, complex, delicious. It's hard to single out anything, but the duck, filet, and rabbit on a recent visit were amazing. Desserts are also wonderful, with interplaying textures and flavors.

Date of visit: May 2016