“Wonderful last minute surprise dinner”

Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Reserve with OpenTable
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Belgian, French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 24th and 25th
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Description: Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

So we got a babysitter at the last minute and of course everything was booked. Marcel's was able to accommodate us at a table in the bar! What an unexpected treat. The lobster bisque was fabulous and the duck the best preparation ever. The scallops had a wonderful butternut squash hash brown side dish that was really specials. And the service was flawless with great wines by the glass to match our meal. Need to go more often, maybe even plan in advance.

There are newer reviews for Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was in DC to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday and we chose Marcel's for dinner. We each had multiple course dinners paired with wine - the service, food, and wine was perfect. It was a lovely treat for mom and made our DC visit extra special.

1  Thank 374Stephanie
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is the way restaurants used to be and I mean that in the very best way. Yes, the meals are a bit pricey. And, yes, you can't wear jeans. Gentlemen wear jackets and ladies look lovely and isn't that nice sometimes? It is also NOT loud so you can actually have a normal conversation and the service is attentive. Just for a bit more retro feel there is a wonderful bar with piano player. By the way, the food is top notch as well. You can create your own tasting menu or order more conventionally. Valet parking is provided. As an extra bonus if you are attending an event at the Kennedy Center, Marcel's provides transport to and from gratis. It's perfect for seeing a show and then returning for dessert and coffee. One of our absolute favorites!

1  Thank RetiringCouple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My friend recommended Marcel’s to me, after he took his fiancée there for her birthday dinner. I looked up the restaurant and read the raving reviews and decided to take my husband there for his birthday dinner. The food, ambience, and service was outstanding. Yes, it is pricey which is why I recommend it for a very special occasion. We each got four courses and our waiter provided us with recommendations. His selections were excellent. I had the foie gras as one of my courses, which is a few dollars more but well worth it. We passed on the dessert and cheese plate since I had a home baked cake for my husband as our after dinner treat. I mentioned this to the waiter and to our surprise, at the end of the meal he brought us a complimentary plate of 4 mini desserts/sweets to wish my husband a happy birthday. It was very thoughtful of Youness (our server) and we appreciated his outstanding service. Badu also served us, and he did a great job ensuring that our glasses were always full. We will definitely be back here to celebrate another special occasion in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great food, has a southern, French theme, also American contemporary. Great for dinner, lunch, and for dates.